Another Fly Shop Closing Their Doors

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by GAT, Nov 1, 2013.

1. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,589 / 0
    I came across this on another site. It was a shock for me. I've known Rich since before he opened the shop in Salem with his wife, Kathy. It was an excellent fly shop, one of the best in Oregon. I can't believe a city as large as Salem can't support a single fly shop. At one time, there were three. Now, none.

Sad times. I certainly wish the best for Rich and Kathy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After 16 great years of owning and operating Creekside Flyfishing in Salem Oregon we have decided to close our fly shop. We would like to thank our customers who have supported us for all those years. The guide and Outfitting business has been going strong for the last 21 years and that is what I'm going to stay focused on. I will still offer spey casting lessons, single hand casting lessons and we will still book our private lakes. So if you want to book a guided fly fishing trip just call 503-588-1768. Our phone number & e-mail will stay the same. We have some great deals going on until November 30th then I will be locking the door for the final time.

Thanks for your support!!

Rich Youngers
    Creekside Flyfishing
    350 Liberty ST SE
    Salem, Oregon 97301
    503-588-1768
  2. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    I have stopped in at the shop whenever I am in the area. Before I moved to the coast I would order all my steelhead and salmon tying materials from Rich. The quality of his products and the level of customer service was top shelf all the way.
    Best of luck to the Youngers.
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Sad news. I was just wondering the other day what has happened to the Kaufmann boys. I have not heard about Randall for several years and Lance was up on the Skykomish with a rod expo a few years back,
    They closed their doors shortly thereafter. We lost the ALL ABOUT THE FLY storefront in Monroe a couple of years ago, and Swede moved to Spokane and left Woodinville bare and dry.
  4. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    Shoot! One of the few good brick and mortar shops for fly tying needs.

TC
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Bummer,
    I met Rich and his wife one day will fishing a lake up here. I believe they were on vacation.
    Very nice folks. I wish them well on their future endeavors.
    SF
  6. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +738 / 0
    Balls.
    Patrick Allen likes this.
  7. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 1
    Bummer. I am hopeful that some course directions are in this countries future and economy that will prompt a resurgence of days gone by... well, one can hope anyway.
    1morecast likes this.
  8. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    Sad indeed...kinda' like losing a family member. :(
  9. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Local fly shops give a sense of place, they are a focal point for the angling community. The internet is great for speed and convenience, and disseminating information, but it could be anywhere, there is no there, there. Shopping on the internet or at Cabela's or any chain store you could be anywhere in the world and not know the difference, the same standardized, homogenized bullshit.
  10. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    I remember going into a local (to Portland) fly shop one day; I visit the shop 4-5 times a year, max, so I'm sure the owner doesn't know me. Nevertheless, when I walked in, he greeted me and said, "Hey, I'm just about to make a sandwich for lunch. Would you like me to make you one, too?"

How can you NOT want to bring your business to a place like that? It is a shame that these places seem to be on the road to extinction.
  11. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,589 / 0
    The Salem paper finally picked up on the story. This explains quite well what is happening to local fly shops:

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20131107/COLUMN0401/311070016/Miller-Salem-s-last-fly-fishing-store-close-its-doors?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Home|p&nclick_check=1

When I first started fly fishing, the only shop in Salem was originally owned by McNeese. He sold out and it went through two owners and the last was Rich and Kathy. During that time, two other fly shops opened after "the movie". Now there is none. A real shame. Rich and Kathy are good people. So is Keith Burkhart who owned one of the other fly shops that couldn't make it and folded a number of years ago.

I really thought a city the size of Salem could support at least one fly shop. Guess I was wrong.
    LD likes this.
  12. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    Sad tale...
    I wish them well.
  13. jake-e-boy Active Member

Kennewick
    Ratings: +207 / 0
    Sadly, I'm sure any city with a pop. over 10,000 could support a fly shop, if the internet did not exist. As stated earlier in this thread, if local shops can not "figure out" online sales, it will be a tough road ahead. Adapt or die. Thank you for sharing the article!
  14. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I always feel sad, angry, and hopeless all at the same time when I hear of a shop closing down. I also realize that I fear that one day the 2 shops that I buy all my fishing supplies from will one day fall under the same demise. If that ever happens I don't know where I'll get my tying materials, lines, leaders, reels, gadgets etc from. One shop I've purchased from since I was a teenager (we're talking 30 years ago here).

I wonder what will come of the internet sales when there aren't stores that a person can visit to handle and touch and tryout merchandise before they purchase. I suppose folks will buy anyway based on reviews and other's recommendations. Perhaps once all the retail shops are closed down there won't be anything left but internet sales, what then? Will the "deals" and "closeouts" slowly become a thing of the past as the supply of closing retail shops, where I suspect the internet stores get their merchandise, dwindles to extinction?

I can't imagine buying a hackle cape without first taking it out of the package and examining it. Or buying a pair of waders or boots without first trying them on to see how a pair of wool socks fit or if there is enough room to step over downfalls and climb out of a drift boat. Same with wading jackets, is there sufficient room for a down vest underneath? Do the zippers operate easily? I wouldn't buy a reel without first being able to see how the spool comes off and on, examine the construction and finish, see how tight the bearings hold the spool. I like to try out clippers to see how they feel in hand and how smooth they operate. You can't do any of that when purchasing online.

Just thinking out loud. :confused:
  15. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +83 / 6
    Great article.....to bad so many shops close. I just see no chance for survival unless your are a destination shop or have a large internet business.
  16. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Great perspective - perhaps there can be local shops that also can utilize the internet and some how take advantage of the closeouts and special deals that online companies are using. Gets a guy thinking...
  17. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +754 / 0
    regionally it will be tough for some areas that will not have shops nearby. the destination shops will always exist because of their location (think streamside shops on popular destination fisheries.)

luckily the best online retailers imo also happen to be brick and mortar stores with a few exceptions. how the generic online shops (like stockard) compete with the real shops and whether customers appreciate the online content real shops produce will imo be the determining factor in whether non-destination shops survive. the real shops tend to produce tying videos, rod tests, fishing reports, how-to articles that give value back to the in store and online fly fishing community. i believe there is value in that content and those shops will be rewarded versus the warehouse outlets that basically just regurgitate the suppliers catalogs.
  18. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Whenever there is change in a system you are also presented with opportunities. "Organisms" that don't capitalize on those changes will likely see a scenario where they are out competed by "invasive" species.

Amazon and Borders are two excellent examples of this. We all have the ability to rise to the level of an Jeff Bezos, but it doesn't come without a lot of very hard work, many failures and sacrifice. Yes, fly shops do form the hub of many community's fly fishing cultures, but they are first and foremost businesses.
  19. wichaka Active Member

White Salmon, Washington
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    I live out in the sticks already, so getting to a fly shop isn't very easy for me. A lot of the new stuff doesn't interest me...so sadly enough, I'm not that big of a supporter to fly shops. Buy I do buy the smaller things like floatant, leader, tippet etc from them. I don't tie flies yet, so I pick up my flies from shops and on the net when I can't find them locally.

To make it today, and has already been said...if the shop doesn't have internet sales its going to be tough for anyone in any area of commerce.

When I travel, I do like to see a local fly shop to drop in and be able to get info. on the local waters. That part of the shops I do miss. And I always make a purchase when the owner spends time conversing about the local waters, its just common courtesy in my book.
    PT, underachiever and Olive bugger like this.
  20. FinLuver Active Member

Mid-Willamette Valley
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    You just HIT on a "subject" the online retailers haven't had to deal with yet...RETURNS (in volumes).

This a message for ALL you online retailers...

The first time I get any "junk" materials from you...IT WILL be returned at your cost!

...AND YOUR NAME GETS SLAMMED ON THE INTERNET.

Beware...you have been warned.

You too suppliers/manufacturers...quit driving the people that sell (explain) your products out of business;)