Another question for the WFF think tank

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by royalcoach, Mar 2, 2014.

1. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

:D

I have never fished a 9'6" or 10' rod.
    I have really got into high stick nymphing the past couple of seasons.
    Usually throwing tandem weighted stonefly nymphs and Prince nymph tandems ....
    ... sometimes big hopper dropper rigs... on big rivers...

So now I want a new rod .... another new rod :D

Is there a big diff between a used Z-Axis 4110-4 and anew Sage One 4100-4 ?
    Is there a big diff between a 9'6" and a 10' rod ?

I really think have to scratch this itch... :eek:

Then I will be looking for a fast Sage 8wt ... and then I will be all done, broke and malnourished...

Thanks gang !

2. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

Hahaha. Good luck with that.
    I have neither a z-axis or one rod, but love my 510-4 vxp.

3. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Well do effin tell brudda :D

4. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Well anyways ... I just sold two rods that I never really used ....
    Gonna buy a Sage One 4100-4 next week ....

And then Im soon coming to Washington and Montana and Idaho and am gonna put some
    NH and Maine fly pattern smack-down on your fishes ... :D
    Dinner beverages and hospitality would be nice ...

Kyle Smith likes this.
  5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

There is no difference between a 9' 6" and a 10' rod except that 6". Which might be needed at just that right moment. Go with the 10' and you won't need to worry about that 6".

Blake Harmon likes this.
  6. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

I'm sure they are fantastic overhead casting rods. But if I were looking for a Sage that would excel at high-sticking and lobbing open loops and tandem rigs, the ESN is one sweet rod. It's slower than the One, but flexes in the tip. The 6" more rod slows the action down a bit, and gives you more reach and mending capability. A 10' 4wt sort of has the power of a 9' 5wt, the same way two-handers are often underrated by two sizes.

7. rory

rory Go Outside

Stay in Montana where the fishing is better. Come to Washington for the coffee and traffic.

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Personally, I doubt this. Long rods have their place certainly: nymphing, on the beach, mending, etc., but they are not fantastic for casting unless distance is your only measure. And the distance advantage isn't really that great. I use a 9'6" rod off the beach most of the time but much prefer casting rods in the 8' to 9' range. I've also read some discussion on the Sexyloops site where they seem to think somewhere around 8'9" to be optimum if I recall correctly. I see a lot of guys touting long rods so to each his own I guess. But they are not as accurate or as pleasurable to cast.
    Sorry, no hijack intended. I don't high stick nymph much but am interested in doing it more. Somehow I'd prefer doing it with one of my 9'ish rods but am sure 1000 flies aren't wrong.

9. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

The flies that you use in Maine will also work in Montana. I used to live and fish in Washington. I have since moved to Montana. The flies I used in Washington also work in Montana. The only thing I do that is different is I nymph more here.

11. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Our brook trout are probably a lot dumber and invasive-er than yours are. A great chance for some guilt-free C&K bookie fishing exists in our mountain creeks, east of the continental divide.

12. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

that extra 6 inches is critical in some arenas!!

13. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

Go with a rod with a soft tip. Really what a tightline nymphing rod is is a 3# tip and a 5# but. I belive the 10' one and z-axis are focused on lake fishing.

Look at the ESN, st croix high stick drifter, echo shadow 2, greys xf2 streamflex etc.