NFR Another retirement thread

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Vaughn, May 11, 2014.

1. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    This inquiry is sort of fishing related, as most every conversation I have is. As everyone who is approaching retirement, my wife and I are working through some major decisions; some easy, others not so much. We are transplants from the east coast (NY and FL); in WA almost 5 years. Our daughters have followed and live in the Tri-Cities, so it is unlikely we will go very far. Beside, I love the fishing close at hand and still have so much to explore. My wife is not a fisherperson but does enjoy camping, kayaking, and other outdoor activities. We enjoy spending the day in Walla Walla shopping, eating, wine tasting, and people watching. Walla Walla reminds us of the small town we raised our kids in near Rochester, NY. I have fished the Touchet between Waitsburg and Dayton many times and once traveled over to the Tucannon for an afternoon. Other than that I am totally clueless on the fishing 'scene' around Walla Walla. I'm guessing there are plenty of opportunities in Oregon just over the boarder.

I'm not looking for anyone's secret spots or even specific streams, lakes or whatever. I'm looking for a general description of life in Walla Walla for a fly fisherman - ample waters within 2 hours, fly shops, clubs, etc. I like to walk & wade but also like to float my pontoon down a river that doesn't risk life and limb. Not an experienced lake fly fisherman though fished a lot of smallies with bait back east, so I would like to figure out how to fish lakes with a fly.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insights.

Steve

2. later_Peter

later_Peter Active Member

My brother lives in West Rush & his house backs up to the Genesee River (I hate that humidity). However, my point will be: Did you think about Central Oregon? Bend in particular... GREAT fishing (& ALL outdoor activities) PLUS NO SALES TAX!!! buy something for $10 & pay $10... (too cool for school)

3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
  4. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    Peter, I don't miss the summer humidity either but then again Western NY is a lot less humid and cooler than Orlando in the summer - Ugh! As for a move to Oregon, it will depend on where our girls and grandchildren are living two years from now. Grandma doesn't want to be much more than 30 minutes away from them.

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    When I retired we considered Walla Walla not because the fishing was great there, but because it was great way to live. I have become somewhat of a destination fisherman. I like to travel and fish I don't need blue ribbon streams out of my door I will go where the fish are. From Walla Walla you are with-in a days drive of some great fishing in any direction.
    We may still end in Walla Walla some day after I have tired of the location we are currently in.
    jesse

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Steve, I understand the desire to be near the grandkids but being elderly myself I have seen way too many grandparents bitten in the ass about this very thing. Move to be near the grandkids and then job necessities require the kids to move to another state. You can't just keep following them around or put pressure on them to stay nearby.

Just yesterday my wife's best quilting buddy visited and is excited that a grandchild is coming soon. It sounds great for her being a new grandmother but her son and daughter-in-law have just been transferred to London and the baby will be born in the UK. Your children's lives will unfold the way they will unfold and so it must be.

I would like to hear more about the Walla Walla area myself as it is unclear how much longer we can endure the harsh winters here on the tundra. It does make the drive to Kelly Creek, the Lochsa, etc much easier and puts you in range of the Deschutes, John Day, Blitzen, Owyhee, Malheur and others that offer years of exploring and discovery.

I hate to see people paint themselves into the grandkids corner then be heartbroken later when the family moves away to find work. Better to find the place that works best for you and your wife well into your dotage. The grand kids will come to you when they can and happily so.

Ive

Greg Armstrong and Kent Lufkin like this.
  7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I retired in May of 1999 from the lazy "B". I stayed in Washington for about 6 years after that. Wife wanted to move to Montana to be closer to her kids and grand kids. Now they all moved back to Washington. She doesn't want to go back to Washington and I'm happy with that.

I've fished a little around Walla Walla. I stayed for about a week in Dayton and fished and searched for places to fish while there. I had my best luck on the Upper Tucannon. But I did manage to hit the small lakes on the upper river.

This isn't much help, but it gives you an insite where to start looking.

8. Karry

Karry Member

About 1 year ago I was looking to move to Wa. all my kids/ gkids were in the Seattle area, today they are in TX. WA. and MT. Kids will do what kids do. When I moved to Mt. I looked at the area that I wanted to move to on a map. Then took a compass and drew 50 100 150 200 mile circles a round it. to look at the hunting -fishing opportunity. 50 = 1/2 day trips, 100= day trips, 150 long day trips, 200+ = weekend trip. But being retired every day is a weekend. From Walla Walla that gives you most of Wa. Or. Id. and maybe even into MT

9. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
  10. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

As Ive said, it can be tough to move to follow the grandkids. My wife and I are very lucky that all our (4) grandkids live in our town. It is a central joy in my life to spend time with my grandkids, teaching them fly fishing, skiing and the joys of the outdoors. My life would be much poorer without those kids, especially as I have more time in retirement to spend with them! I have always loved Walla Walla and think it would be a great community to live in in retirement! Rick

Dipnet likes this.
  11. dbaken

dbaken New Member

In Oregon there's also the Middle Fork of the Walla Walla (or one of the forks, it's been a few years) which is very close and a fun river for average size redsides. A little further there's the Wallowa, Minam, Wenaha, Grande Ronde, Imnaha, Powder River below Theft Valley. Those are a bit of a drive, though. Even longer drive is the Owyhee - but it can be worth the drive.

12. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Shhh. Nothing to see here. Drink wine. Then go away :)

13. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Hi Steve: I live in Baker, just over two hours South of you. Lots of fishing options down this way. Rivers and creeks for redbands, great stillwater fishing in reserviors, smallmouth bass and great high lakes if you like to hike. PM me if you want any specifics. I have a good friend who flyfishes in Walla Walla who just retired. He could tell you more.

14. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    Bakerite,
    We will have to check Baker City out this summer. Thanks.

15. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    I can't tell you squat about Walla Walla but share in your escape from the Rochester area. Irondequoit actually and Honeyoye as a kid...been here 35 years and don't miss much about NY.

I can tell you about family, let them live their lives and share what you can when you can. Children grow up and move away, physically and emotionally...don't count on them to stick around.

16. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

The Upper Tucannon used to be a fav place to fish, but it is no more. The river has been regulated to death. Rather than patrol the area, enforce the selective fishery rules, & punish the bait dunkers & poachers, the authorities found it easier to spank everyone & just close-off more & more of the river to fishing. Good luck on your quest, Steve. My Son recently moved to Florida, so just my Daughter remains here; when I retired, I contemplated returning back home to Montana, but I like the weather here (although I could do with less wind) and there's plenty of good fishing in the vicinity year-'round. Montana haunts are only 6-1/2 hours away and a guy doesn't have to shovel sunshine here, plus I'm close to excellent medical care, should that become necessary someday.

17. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

if you like constant wind,Havre Montana is the place to be.Never have figured out how those cowboys keep their hat on. It's so windy there that they don't even dig holes for telephone poles they just lean them into the wind!

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Now who's telling tall stories.

19. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I'm a fisherman and in fact a fly fisherman , tall stories are to be expected!!!

20. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I spent my share of time passing through Havre on my way to Plentywood every summer.