Another thermometer gone.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

I'm gonna be 48 soon... Not looking forward to the fact that my memory can actually gets worse!

Three weeks ago, I left my Sage on the side of the road in the Canyon. Didn't discover it until I was back in Bellevue. Good thing the pass was clear- I got a hell of a lot of extra windshield time, but didn't have to deal with chains, etc! Thankfully my 16 year old son was with me- I couldn't remember where we had pulled over last when we went back to get it! ;)

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Been there/done that, Paul. Many times, things like that are in my hand as I search. I do find myself making greater use of innovative reminders & establishing pre/post activity rituals to mitigate the effect of having so many years of memories & ideas stuck in an old head that there's no room for any more . . .

3. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Years ago I used to lose pocket knives - at least several a year. Since I quit bonking fish I haven't lost a single one!

The last time I used my thermometer was several winters ago up on the Skagit. That day it was worthless. It doesn't show the temp below 32 degrees!

4. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I have not lost a thermometer in more than a decade!. I bought a nice with a nice one with a gizmo with recoiling string to attach to my vest. I of course forgot to attach it to my vest and then forgot that I had it. It has been "safe" in my fly fishing junk ever since. If I remember I think I look for it this week!.

getting old is a bitch but sure beats the alternative!

Curt

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  5. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Smalma said; ".....getting old is a bitch but sure beats the alternative!"

Bingo!!!

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  6. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    There's a word for that - making associations with lists, poems, acronyms - but I forgot what it is.

7. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    I just had a three day weekend. Everytime that happens they have to retrain me. I walked from office to office asking "Who are you again?"

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

It's not so bad. You get to meet new people every day.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

What's the topic of the thread?

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I got a thermometer somewhere. It might be in the pouch of my pontoon boat. Or it could be in the gear tray of my sled. Or it could be in my rain coat pocket. Or it could be in my fishing vest pocket. Or......hell I don't remember where the damn thing is. Do we really need a thermometer in the winter time. I look at the one outside on the backporch and if it says it is to damn cold to fish I stay home. At that point it doesn't matter what the water temp is.

Jim Wallace and Kent Lufkin like this.
  11. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    Perhaps I shouldn't be so glib. There are plenty of people not having fun with dementia. Just whistling past the graveyard here.

I was a caregiver to my mom and my in-laws. We had some fun times with it, actually.

Greg Armstrong and Kent Lufkin like this.
  12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Tether that thing to you, or attach it to your left boot/gravel guard. It will tell you what you need to know.

35 degrees, you must put your low volume large profile within 3" of the fish and it will eat your fly.

33 degrees, you must physically bonk that fish in the nose twice with the same fly to make sure that it eats it the second time. Slows your work through the run, forcing you to make each cast exactly twice before stepping down.

Freestone likes this.
  13. Paul Huffman

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ed's correct, of course. I always tie a piece of running line to it, but then don't take the time to tie it on me. I just throw it done, saying I'll pick it up as soon as I change flies or something.

I can come pretty close without a thermometer. Shelf ice into the river - <= 33. Ice on the bank, barely in the river - about 35. No ice - 38.

But for one of the most important temperatures I need a thermometer - 50F. Smallmouth start hitting.

It usually happens that I'm back in the truck driving home and I start thinking about something like "I wonder how warm it got finally in the the afternoon. ... Oh, crap!" I need to establish some kind of mnemonic, like saying to myself "I wonder how cold it is in the next run. Oh, wait, where's your thermometer, dumbass."

14. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Ah Contra, Krusty! You overlooked the chicken hanging above my door. AND, one should always consult the chicken bones, runes and tarot cards before going out.

Paul Huffman and Krusty like this.