NFR Any Ford diesel gurus here?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by orangeradish, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Looking at a truck, but I've been told that there are a few years/motors to avoid. 2006 6l is what I'm looking at. Anyone have any input? A float down the river and all the beer you can drink coming your way if ya keep me from stepping on a landmine on this one...

Jason

2. Before I got out of it I was a Diesel mechanic by trade for over 10 years. What you need to understand is that there are lemon's everywhere, that is just the downside to mass production, and occasionally a bad apple slips through. Whether you go with Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Peterbilt, Kenworth, or anything it does not matter. Truck and vehicle manufacturers have been doing this stuff long enough to know what they are doing. Rest assured that the Fork truck that you have a chubby over will serve you very well for years to come as long as YOU serve IT well for years to come. I will not give you my personal preference because it is completely irrelevant. There is always going to be that "guy" who complains that this went out or that went out, but the majority of feedback that is given are from people who are pissed off about the product. I guarantee that for every bad experience there is significantly more positive ones. Of course there is always the infamous recall but you do not have to worry about that financially if that should ever arise. Good luck on your purchase. Shit that was long winded.

Porter likes this.

3. I didn't think any Ford owners would reply. I figured they were all stuck on the side of the road.

mini-0728.jpg

Seriously, I'm just yanking chains. I think there is a Ton of truth to what Danielocean says. As for my trash talking, keep in mind I drive an outback.

Derek Young likes this.
  4. Get on some ford talk groups, you'll find your answer. A buddy of mine was looking into an 07 and found that erra of diesels are netorious for head problems, like clockwork at 100k miles they will need rebuilt. If I recall his research it was the 6.0 between about 03 and 07.

5. Run, run, run! Avoid those 6L like the plague.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  6. Oh, btw, I have over a million miles driving those 6L (yes over a million) and again will say run, run, run.

orangeradish likes this.
  7. Talk to Christian before you do anything.

8. I have the old 7.3L. If you're going to own an elephant, be very prepared to feed it.

I don't think I'll ever buy another Ford unless I win the lottery and it's a '67 Cobra GT.

Porter likes this.
  9. Buy a 5.9L Cummins and be done with it... just saying. loveit.gif OK, as to your question, I have also heard that the 6.0 Powerstroke has been disappointing to Ford fans. That said, a friend has an 2004 F350 and has about 300k miles w/o any major problems. That would suggest it not to be an inherent design flaw but perhaps lack of quality in the detail components supply chain and/or assembly. Good luck with whatever you decide, but go with Cummins and sleep well.

10. Thanks for the input, guys.

11. I have a 2006 6.0L and wish I had an older Powerstoke or one of the new diesels. Mine's listed as a motor prone to troubles. The turbos suck up moisture in a we(s)tside climate and that's a $2K issue. The motors need to be run weekly.

12. I'm in the biz... Some 6.0s were fine, some were an absolute nightmare to keep running. (the techs have an inside joke in regards to the owners of 6.0s knowing the tow truck driver very, very well)

Bill is correct. The 6.0 was not a diesel engine that worked so well for short trips around town... in fact, that was its downfall.

The 6.0 was replaced by the 6.4 which has a much better track record.

When it comes to buying a 6.0 .... are you feeling lucky?

13. I'm on my third Duramax and traded each off at about 150,000 miles (yea I like new trucks!) My last one went to my son in law and all three have never had one bit of trouble. Couple that with being the quietest diesel out there and the most comfortable ride (IMO). Having said that, right now I'm looking at a new Dodge 1500. I will keep the 3500 Duramax, but may trade in my Volvo XC90 on a new Dodge. Air shocks, almost 10,000 lb pulling power and the new V8 is EPA 21 on the hwy with 4 WD. Crew cab 6 1/2' bed with cap should replace the Volvo nicely! Rick

14. Rick, if you are really interested in bragging rights-and I think you are-get the new V-6 diesel with 4WD and mileage closer to 30 mpg on the highway. Half ton diesels are the next big thing in trucks as Nissan is poised to introduce the new V-8 Cummins in their new Titan. GM will also be introducing their global 2.8L turbodiesel in the new downsized Colorado and Canyon trucks.

Five years from now 21mpg in a truck is going to be pretty lame.

Ive

constructeur likes this.
  15. The 6.0 has an issue with the EGR. It is quite common. Two of the three 6.0 owners I know have had it go out, the third deleted his before it did go out. There are options out their to delete it to avoid the issue. The 7.3 was a much better engine. Once the 6.0 is patched it is a very good engine.

The Dodge 5.9 has its issues too. The stock lift pump is prone to failure which starves the injection pump causing it to fail. The lift pump should be replaced with a high flow aftermarket unit ($850 installed). The injection pump is $1000 alone, not including installation. Also the Autos in this years are sub par and should be upgraded if planning on doing any towing. I own one.

The early Duramax are plagues with head gasket and injector failures. I knew a guy who replaced three sets of injectors each at 40k miles before dumping the rig. Plenty run just fine though.

All of them have issues, pick your poison and be prepared.

16. DanielOcean, well said and I agree with all you comments.

I have owned a chevy duramax for the past five years. Really like the ride and comfort
    that it offers. When people ride in my truck, they always comment just how quiet it
    is for a diesel. Searching the forums, my year/model has feedback of head gasket
    problem at 100k. I have only 26k, we'll see.

Buyer beware. Especially when buying a used unit, even with low miles doesn't
    necessarily mean high reliability. Maintenence and how it was driven(no power
    programmers) is key. If it were me, buying used, it would have to have an
    extended warranty that can be renewed. Without one, repairs can be very,
    very costly.

17. Whatever the issue is, it's not the same with the engines used on an industrial scale (the actual International version, though they should be the same). We've sent truck after truck after truck over and over again and International can't figure it out. The clean out or change a few things and send them back. In a few thousand miles, they're malfunctioning again. I should preface by saying I put over 500,000 on a 7.3L International. That baby was a true machine. Gas mileage was about same as the 6L, but tons more towing power. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you what the thing got on an empty load, since my old route my truck always went out super full, and came back super full. So ran max capacity most of the day (except the mid hours as truck was almost empty and before pickups). The 6L in my last package car had 3 (yes three) engines dropped in it at around the 300,000 mile mark. In fact one engine came straight from International, was installed and test run, and fell apart on them. Had to order another engine in (and if you want to count that, it actually had 4 engines put in).

What I was told by our mechanics was that the 6L was designed to literally be run in buses/vans that were to be run nonstop all day. Not be shut off. Or so they were told by International. I know some who've had a great time with their 6L on a private level. BUT, they only use them to tow and NOT a main/daily driver. So isn't shut off and started a lot. I know we're slowing tossing out the diesels, and running back to gas. BUT that little 3L Mercedes is a MACHINE!!!! Great gas mileage and lots of power. I'm not sure how it'd compare to the half ton trucks coming out mile wise. Why? Because we're talking about a rig pulling over 15,000 #'s a day and still getting over 20mpg AND doing stop and go driving too WITH said heavy load. Only beef I have with the Mercedes (no, I'm not talking about Sprinters either, I'm talking about a Mercedes chassis with a Grumman body) is it's a tad slow on the take off. But WAY faster then my 6L International.

I'd love to get a Cummins diesel in our rigs, but not sure what the hold up is. Only company we don't have engine wise. I've run about all the rest (including the Isuzu which I do believe is the duramaxx). Not sure why we can't get them. Maybe they won't just sell the chassis? No idea.

18. Ive-I looked at that engine and EPA rated 27 (in 4WD). As a long term diesel owner, I get tired and pissed off paying 20% more for fuel than unleaded regular. So if you compare cost per mile between the gas and diesel engines, it isn't a great advantage for the diesel, plus it is about $4000 more for the diesel, so the payout just isn't there! (plus the gas engine has more torque and horsepower.) Rick

19. Diesel is a great advantage economically when you are using as it is designed. The main reason why diesel trucks are purchased is because people are wanting to tow with them. You are right in your statement for sure. However, when you get into towing statistics, diesel engines will shine economically over gasoline engines by far. LOL I remember when Ford came out with that V10. Gosh that was a bad choice.