NFR Any Ford diesel gurus here?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by orangeradish, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Yup, if you're buying a towing rig they WAY outshine gas. My original "tow" rig at UPS was gas. While I towed, I was LUCKY to get 6MPG with the gas engine (with total weight of rig). With diesel, I'm getting in the 16mpg range.

2. I dont know about you, but my 5.9L has more torque stock than my dads Ford Triton V10 and I get 8+ MPG better in town. Diesels reign supreme in the torque department. Shoot, the new engines in the dodge are 800ft/lbs torque STOCK. Insane!

3. I have heard of stories of multiple returns with no fix, never experienced it myself. I just avoided that engine 100% when looking for a new rig. Not worth the headache for me.

4. Unfortunately for me (or fortunate) I don't pay for it. But they're bought under contract. Which is another headache all together. Why I've been begging for the Mercedes 3L at work.

5. I almost bought a used 6L Ford also Orangeradish. Now glad I didn't after watching 2 buddies spend tousands dealing with problems. One friend has a 2004 F250 6L and is on his 3rd engine.

6. I agree Ryan-and I have a Duramax 3500 crew cab dually for my 3800 lb camper. But, according to the Ram website, the new diesel (available only in the half ton) has 240 HP and 420 ft lbs of torque and rate it 27 mpg in 4WD crew Cab 6' 4" box. They rate it GVW 8900 lbs for towing. The Hemi has 395 HP and 410 ft lbs torque, 21 mpg in the same configuration. They rate it 10,300 GVW. So the Hemi only gives up 10 ft lbs of torque and WAY outshines in HP. My future travel trailer has a GVW of 9000 lbs. Right now, diesel in my neighborhood is around $4/gallon and regular is $3.30. Diesel is 28% more expensive. That means the Hemi is getting the same cost per mile as the diesel right now. (at 21 vs 27 mpg) I agree that there is nothing like a big diesel for pulling big trailers or campers and I plan to keep the Duramax for that, but a nice every day driver that has car-like comfort, but still pulls a 27' travel trailer, is very appealing! Rick

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. two words.......dodge Cummings 5.9 ...... well two word and some numbers

8. Boom.
    20131231_135717.jpg

MPG from Shelton to Oly...

20131231_154517.jpg

9. Nice truck! Glad you pulled the trigger!

10. I have one assigned to me from my job with the same plant. I have had the turbo replaced and also both head gaskets. Our mechanic stated that the temperature sensor is in a location where you won't know you have trouble until it is too late. I jacked up both my heads and was blowing white smoke, never showed an increased temp nor had any idiot lights come on, or see anything on my gauges that would hint that I had a problem. Glad it was a company truck. pretty expensive to repair.

Just my .2
    Eric

11. Nice. That should tow your raft without much effort ;)

Itchy Dog likes this.
  12. I agree with the above on the 6L...run from it. To confirm that, just head to the Ford forums as suggested above and you'll see the issues folks have had with them. I have a 7.3 and it has treated me well for 180k miles. I pull doubles with a 5th wheel camper and a 18 1/2' walleye boat behind it...or my drift boat. Have had several Ford techs tell me that the 7.3 is a tank and I can expect to get 300K out of it if maintained well.

13. Nice dodge! At least you won't have engine problem(the only Cummins we've had cracked a block at 30k), just transmission nightmares. Dodge has huge issues with transmissions unless it's manual.

14. So do the Fords

15. Nice choice O'Rad!!! You're going to be real happy that you didn't START investing in a 6.0L...they can get real expensive real fast...especially if you dont replace the coolant immediately with a low silica coolant and if you don't perform oil analysis religiously!

Here is a pic of mine on my way to the Skeena last fall...made it about 1/2 way there...
    20130929_082610.jpg

If anyone wants to talk 6.0L let me know...I have a lot of experience with mine. I've replaced every high failure rate item on my truck at least once...most under warranty...but now with no warranty I had to just fix it with the 'Bullet Proof' EGR cooler and Oil Cooler. Luckily I caught it thru oil anaysis and not engine failure.

One of the most important things you can do with any diesel (besides oil analysis) is to let the engine oil come to temperate before driving them...this will help save your injectors, pumps, turbos, and bearings. Just give the engine a few minutes at idle before driving. Same thing after a heavy tow...let the engine oil cool before shutting it down.

Christian

orangeradish likes this.
  16. Nice Dodge!

I had the same debate not long ago and also went Cummins. Mine is an '03 and I love it. Cummins has a ton of million mile motors on the road (with no rebuild - just maintenance/wear parts). I would HIGHLY reccomend joining the Turbo Diesel Register. You get a quarterly magazine, access to the website/past magazines, and the forum has tons of info (you can search that for free I think). $35 a year and it's saved me hours of headaches and probably thousands of dollars fixing little things myself. They support all years of Dodge Cummins and it's a nice little community.
    http://turbodieselregister.com/

I agree with avoiding the 6.0 Ford - I work in the fire service and the 6.0 medic units we run have been nothing but major pain in the butt. We have 5 (2 generations) and all have had multiple problems inside of 100k.

I think the Chevy/GMC is the nicest overall truck package and very quiet with the Duramax, but the earlier models in my price range had some known issues and were more expensive.

17. Christian- Are you talking about Blackstone labs oil testing or another method/company?

18. Yeah I use Blackstone Labs for oil analysis on my personal diesel truck engine...it's like $30 per analysis, which I do annually. I installed a sample valve in my oil pan drain to make it easy to draw a clean sample.

I'm real happy with them so far...they help me find my EGR failures before I had any real engine damage. They found traces of coolant in the oil...which queued me to troubleshoot for the source.

constructeur likes this.
  19. Just did some quick math and calculated that if you drive 20K-miles per-year, and fuel is $4 per gallon, then you save ~$1500 per year on fuel. That's nothing to sneeze at, but a few major repairs could easily eliminate most of that savings.

Once you factor in the purchase price differential + interest on that differential, taxes, maintenance, depreciation, etc my hunch is that springing for a diesel only pencils out for people who do a *ton* of highway driving and towing.

Having said that - I could be totally wrong. For those of you who own diesels and have done the math, under what circumstances does owning a diesel = saving money?

dryflylarry likes this.
  20. Jayb, I did some math before I took the plunge. I take my work truck home, so most of my driving is on the weekends, and most of my weekends are road trips. I hope to get a saltwater boat, mid size camper, and animals in the next few years. I wanted to avoid upgrade-itis. I almost bought a new gas f150, but it wouldn't have worked on that bigger stuff. So I got a truck that I figured would suit my needs over the next 15 years. Hopefully I made the right call... If not, they hold value well. I can always sell it in a few years if I don't like it.

constructeur likes this.