Any Mushroomers?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by jimmydub, Feb 16, 2013.

1. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    I couldn't agree more, it's a very healing experience. It's one of those activities that really connects you with nature. Sometimes you can actually smell the mushrooms, especially if you get to know the woods you're in well enough.

That's really cool your brother cultivated morels, I really want to experiment with outdoor cultivation of morels. I haven't found cauliflower yet, but I thought I did when I found the Hericium last fall. I haven't targeted milky caps yet, but I did find some candy caps that were too far gone while fishing Pass Lake not too long ago.
  2. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I love it when you can smell them in the woods after a good rain and the air is still in the forest. Awesome. If you ever do find a nice cauliflower (they get up to 40 pounds!) they make a great cream of mushroom soup. They have a flowery fragrance that tastes great, but they are a pain in the ass to clean. They also can come back in the same spot for a few years in a row. All this conversation makes me want to get out there!

His cultivation was by accident, but we sure ate well for a while!
    jimmydub likes this.
  3. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Mmmmmm, cream of mushroom soup! I made a cream of chanterelle soup last year that put me in a state of nirvana. Nothing quite like it!
  4. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +296 / 0
    morels
  5. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    I took my second preseason scouting trip to a healthy, old lowland second growth forest yesterday. While I didn't find any edibles, there were some beautiful Ganoderma oregonense, also known as Reishi or Ling-chi. Also growing were fresh turkey tails and tree ears. Medicinal mushrooms everywhere, and a few LBMs, but no morels or oysters yet. Keep the temps above freezing much longer, though, and there will be some I'll bet!
  6. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +703 / 0
    As stated, "All the Rain Promises, and More" by David Aurora is a good pocket guide. "Mushrooms Demystified" by the same author is my "bible." I like Chanterelles in omelets, but sauteed Morels are my fav. Both are fairly easy to identify & the time is getting close for Hank the mushroom dog & I to harvest the timber edges (I let him sniff a few last year & after that he got pretty good at letting me know when he found them them if I I paid attention to his explorations.).
    jimmydub likes this.
  7. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Sounds like you know where the tasty ones live! I am seriously impressed with your dog, too. Have you thought of training him for truffles?
  8. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +703 / 0
    Thanks! A few mushrooms I know. Wouldn't know a truffle if one fell in my lap, but Hank does have a fantastic nose & our relationship has been very intuitive . . . one of the breed's characteristics is tracking/trailing.
  9. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    [IMG]

Those are Oregon white truffles, which are symbiotic with Douglas fir. They grow underground, but can sometimes pop above ground. They're relatively common apparently, they're just obscured by soil and debris and look like rocks.

They are supposed to be delicious. I've have never found or eaten truffles of any kind, so I wouldn't have the first idea. Dogs and pigs are used mostly, but if you know what you're looking for and know the area well, you can find them without help. Dogs are the best way to look from what I've read, because they aren't inclined to root up and eat the truffles like pigs do (female pigs are used, truffles give off pheromones that are found in male pigs).

Typically you rake away the duff and soil layers to get down to the truffles, which can cause significant disturbance to the forest if impacts aren't consciously kept to a minimum. If the ground is disturbed too much, the truffles won't come back.
  10. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Man I would love to learn how to find truffles. That's some intense but very tasty stuff!
  11. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +896 / 0
    Where do you go to learn this stuff? Besides pocket guides, I mean.
  12. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    I took a simple hour or two introduction class by a UW Mycologist a long time ago. Everything beyond that was off of the book guides. Once you know what you are looking for (different components of mushrooms) it's not as difficult as most people think. I go for the ones I can identify easily, usually without doing spore prints and such, and it usually means that I find something eatable when I venture out into the woods in the fall. Of course there are species that take some doing in identification, it just depends on how far you want to go.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 'other' cohort of mushrooms yet. Those being the hallucinogens. Those can be found quite easily as well in the fall if you know what you're looking for, if you actually want to look for them :)
    jimmydub likes this.
  13. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    I recommend reading "Mycelium Running" by Paul Stamets. He knows how to break the fungal kingdom down, but it still can be a dense read. Again, "Mushrooms Demystified" along with "All That the Rain Brings and More" by Arora are recommended reads for understanding fungi. Mushroomexpert.com is a great site to check out as well.

Mycological societies are great places to go if you're really interested in learning about mushrooms. Different areas have different organizations. I was lucky enough to have been given a morel tour with a master identifier from the Puget Sound Mycological Society, when I worked for the state doing habitat restoration. The amount of knowledge I gained from that one trip was tremendous.
  14. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" by Stamets is the resource for identification. If you want to use these, you must have this book. If you want to be seriously blown away, I recommend the book as well. I just recommend it all around. It can save your life, or the lives of others. The better field guides give good identification for some of the Psilicocybe species, as well as the deadly Galerina species, but no one has really dived into to the world of Psilocybes as Stamets.

I was going to mention the book in my above post, but didn't want to get too long winded. I was going to mention that there are a couple separate specialized books that I have gained a great deal of knowledge from, another being "Morel Hunting" by John and Theresa Maybrier.
  15. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    The other book that I like is The New Wild Savory Mushroom. It doesn't have a ton of mushrooms in it, but it's a local book and gives you a good place to start if used as a field guide. I've used it for years.
    jimmydub likes this.
  16. wetfeet Member

tacoma washington
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Anybody wanting to learn about mushroom hunting should get a book by David Aurora called All That The Rain Promises and More. He has a large encyclopidia also that is fantastic. Also most larger citys around here have mushroom clubs or mycological societies which are great. PSMS is a great one in seattle area. Use to really be into it but havent really done much hunting latley. Really alot of fun.
  17. wetfeet Member

tacoma washington
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Well crap, guess those books were already posted, guess I should've read the second page :/
    jimmydub likes this.
  18. jimmydub Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Been there! See everyone, David Arora is a highly recommended author.
  19. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,736 / 0
    So what's the morel update? I should start looking in the Oregon Cascades pretty soon... the snow is rapidly going away.
  20. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    If you don't have a dehydrator hang them with some old monfilment put in jar when you are ready to cook rehydrate with water. Thats what my family
    Did with morels.
    Kelly Michelsen