Any Mushroomers?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by jimmydub, Feb 16, 2013.

1. I have been wanting to try looking for morels around the Walla Walla area but have had no luck so far. Took the kids up into some areas that would seem to have shrooms but nothing so far. I don't know if they have been picked through or I just suck at looking for them. I have asked some people for pointers in our area that I know hunt them but I am guessing good shrooming spots are like good fishing spots. Don't talk about them!
    Hopefully I find some soon or my son is going to think I am loosing it.

2. GAT

GAT Active Member

If you're in Walla Walla, drive up the Tollgate road to Elgin. Take any logging roads just below the snow line. You may need to stop at a few different places but this is the time of year my family did quite well in the Tollgate area.

If you don't mind driving a little further, take I-84 from Pendleton to La Grande. Take the Mt Emily Road off the freeway. Once on Mt Emily Road, you can head North or South and again, investigate the spur roads. There are morels there, you just need to hit it when they pop up.

Virginia, our new dog, Mia and I are heading up to our super secret spot in the Oregon Cascades to look for shrooms on Saturday. Word has it the time to hunt is now. .. today.

3. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Our kids wanted to go camping this weekend so we got our trailer all loaded up and off to the woods we went. We lucked out and had some good weather and even a few mud puddles for the kids. Overall great weekend and we even ended up picking enough morels to start the drying process.
    DSCN1678.JPG DSCN1680.JPG DSCN1675.JPG