Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any Spooky Fishing Stories?

4K views 47 replies 30 participants last post by  Old406Kid 
#1 ·
In the spirit of Halloween, I was curious to see if anyone has ever had something spooky happen to them while out fishing and wanted to share.

Happy Halloween,

-Breck

#2 ·
Yeah. My experience wading the incoming tide on a eelgrass flat, and getting surrounded by the tide and finding the only one access back to the beach by making a zig then, a zag up to my chest before getting the hell back! Trust me, it got scary....spooky! It was no treat.

#4 ·
I was waist deep in the Deschutes a couple summers ago having a great afternoon clobbering chunky redsides when I looked across upriver a ways and could see something headed straight for me. As it grew closer, I realized that it was a huge rattlesnake swimming in a collision course right for me. What made my predicament even scarier was that I was wading in a garden of greased bowling balls. I managed to get out of the way just enough and the rattler swam right by me, just downstream. Ugh.

#5 ·
I was casting in the salt just this evening in an area not far from a major chum creek. Lots of dogs going airborne and finning when I got there but I wasn't having any tugs on the line.

Right about dark I heard a big "whoooosh" from somewhere out on the water! It was a spooky sound and all of a sudden the surface chum action ceased!!

It was a demon of the waters!!! Yikes!!!! :eek:

A very big sea-lion showed up and I watched as he caught and disemboweled two nice sized chum!

The sea-lion was happy as were the seagulls who picked up the left-overs.

Me, not so much, especially after reading another thread here about sea-lion encounters! I promptly waded into shallower water.

A treat for Mr. Sea-lion.

A not so good trick for me! :(

Reactions: Eyejuggler
G
#7 ·
I was by c post in February and it was about 30 degrees out and A guy comes strolling with back pack in shorts and a belly cut off t shirt drinking a tall boy stumbling on the banks. We exchange glances and carried on.

About an hour later a game warden comes by and a sheriff and ask me if I have seen anything peculiar today. I told em some drunk ass was wandering the banks. They chuckled and left.

#8 ·
One day last winter a bunch of us met up at Lone lake for a day of fishing, tailgaiting, and maybe an adult beverage or two. Well I mentioned in planning that i was bringing a half gallon of Crown left over from my wedding.

Well about halfway thru the festivities, Steve Kokita showed up. I was just getting out of my boat to come join the fellas for lunch so I had not yet retrieved said bottle of Crown from my car.

Well let me tell you, the look on Steve's face as it dawned on him that the tasty whisky was not ready for his consumption haunts my dreams to this very day. I still freak my wife out when I awake from a dead sleep shouting "DONT HURT ME STEVE!!!"

That, my friends, was a close call.

#18 ·
OP last year, with a couple buddies...we were walking into a nice spot to scope it out before we floated it the following day. It was dusk so we were hustling to make it to the river in time when we ran smack dab into this dude. He was so hopped up on something that we could hardly understand his 100 mph russian-english speak. All of us were wide eyed as we observed his erratic behavior and talk. We pretty much decided he just killed someone and the dumped the body and the spinning rod was his cover story. Reason #243 I carry when I fish.

#19 ·
Fishing the Ronde a number of years ago myself and a buddy had to move because a group of wild sheep were making their way down the cliff across the river from us and were dislodging enough rocks and other debris from the cliff into the river it was becoming perhaps a bit dangerous and at least scaring any fish that might be in the area. We moved downstream from where the sheep were coming down the cliff and continued to fish. The sheep eventually made their way down to the river and crossed over to our side. I didn't think much of it until my friend who was downstream of me yelled at me to turn around. When I turned around there was perhaps as many as 15 to 20 wild sheep standing not more than 10 feet away staring at me. To have a number of wild animals standing 10 feet away and staring at you is a bit spooky to say the least. Apparently they got board watching me, so they moved down to where my friend was and watched him for about 5 minutes before leaving.

#28 ·
Fishing Puget Sound alone in a float tube at dusk.....legs dangling down over who knows what. I thought about it too much and ended up doing a bit of a panic paddle in....which made me think panicking would attract a predator more....which made me panic more. I was laying on shore panting with my belly boat still on my waist and I look up and see a guy sitting on a log smoking a pipe......he just said "The hell was all that about?"

#29 ·
Fishing Puget Sound alone in a float tube at dusk.....legs dangling down over who knows what. I thought about it too much and ended up doing a bit of a panic paddle in....which made me think panicking would attract a predator more....which made me panic more. I was laying on shore panting with my belly boat still on my waist and I look up and see a guy sitting on a log smoking a pipe......he just said "The hell was all that about?"
That seriously made me laugh out loud.....because I've been there!

Except I was in a lake (I hate lakes), with murky water, and my leg bumped a log under the surface. Now, for most people, this would be no big deal, however, I am not most people. I conjured up all kinds of ideas on what that bump could have been...enough to make me "panic paddle" back to shore and promptly sell my float tube to my buddy for next to nothing. Haven't been in one since...and I still hate lakes.

#36 ·
When I lived in your state I used to fish alone most of the time. I was up on the N/F Sauk one time beating my way through the brush when I came upon a small wooden hut like this one. Why it was there I couldn't fathom. But I never went back to that spot, But I still fished the N/F Sauk. I just never worried as to what was around there.

#33 ·
Was fishing a small lake in NZ last year out of a Watermaster. Working my way down a shoreline with lots of downed timber. Thought I had run into a submerged log and moved off a bit. Then something bumped me again. Looked down to see an eel about 4 feet long trying to get a taste of my leg. Illogical but scared the stuffing out of me. Wouldn't leave me alone until I kicked it with a fin. Later deduced that I had put a hole in my waders and whatever scent I was putting out was interesting to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.