Anybody using Pro-Loks?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Jake Dixon, May 31, 2013.

1. Jake Dixon

Jake Dixon Member

I'd be curious to hear your impressions. I am currently using Cobra oarlocks on my raft. These look like they'd solve the issue of popping an oar out in heavier water and at inopportune times.

http://pro-loks.com/Home.php

[​IMG]

2. Jake Dixon

Jake Dixon Member

As a follow-up to this post, I ended up buying a set of Pro-Loks and using them on a September trip down the Middle Fork of the Salmon. Absolutely loved 'em. I had used convertible oar rights with Cobra oar locks for a long time and won't be going back. I ended up rowing a boat with Cobras/oar rights for half a day on the trip and the difference in friction was remarkable.

My only complaint is the wear on the oar shaft (I use Cataracts SGG oars), which I think I can solve with a bit of Gluvit. That will be a winter project for me.

Since I split my rowing time between fishing and whitewater, I bought a set with heavier water in mind (recessed hose clamp to reduce possible lacerations, nylon cord versus wire to reduce accidental garroting, greater tension on the set screws). I think he still makes the one pictured above for milder water.

There is a comprehensive post over on MountainBuzz (http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/pro-loks-review-with-pics-48524-3.html) with many folks weighing in.

3. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Media:
    I've talked to a few guys using them over the last year...they seem to like them a lot. No one mentioned any worries about damage to their oar shafts.