anyone practice with big rods and longer line inB'ham?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by golfman65, Mar 3, 2013.

1. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Good old rod that Daiwa Alltmor 10/11/12, it was designed by Mr CND when he worked for Daiwa here in Scotland, it got it's name from Harry Jamieson at Clan rods as he did a lot of hand finishing on Daiwa rods for the Japanese market, and the Allt Mor stream runs through his garden, anyway.
    Gordon
    DTX Pro Staff.
    www.mackenzieflyfishing .com

Klickrolf and Nooksack Mac like this.
  2. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I knew that it was designed by Nobuo Nodera, but the rest is new to me, and interesting. Thanks, Gordon.

Klickrolf, I was thinking of putting the Alltmor on the market, perhaps this summer, along with a like-new TFO Hayden III reel and a custom-spliced long belly spey driver. This weather will pass, and we can schedule a mini-clave when the sun returns.

3. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

This would be a terrible spot for big rods, but I do most of my casting practice & line tuning at whatcom creek, opposite the hatchery on the tiny gravel bar (river left). Just after high tide, when we've had plenty of rain, there's decent casting space.

4. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

We could make this a weekly thing if interested!! Would like to wait for a tiny bit less rain, though the lake shouldn't be too hurt by that I'm hoping?

5. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

Practice is good. I'm fishing so little these days, I need it.

6. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

I'm going to head out there at some point today. If anyone is interested, message me and we'll pick a time. I don't have any 15's, so I'll be bringing something in the 13' ballpark.

7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Can't make today Trevor....all my gear is still drying from yesterdays pounding...where was today yesterday?

8. Nooksack Mac

A bit of rediculous news: There's a new posting on eBay: Item 181102052270: a twenty foot, 12 weight, 4 piece graphite Hardy spey rod; presently at $10.

The online weather forecast for both this coming Saturday and Sunday is: cloudy, chance of rain 20%. That sounds like reasonable odds.

9. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I'd be game for that Mac, what time will you be there if you go?

10. Nooksack Mac

Everybody:

How about this Sunday afternoon? The weather forecast looks promising, and I think it's Paul's only window. I plan to be at Bloedel Donovan Park, at the wading/swimming area starting at around 1 p.m. I've notified the WDFW that we'll be either there or the Nooksack at Nugent's Corner, above the bridge.

11. Chris Johnson

12. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I'll do my best...have to see what the kids are doing since they are home for spring break...

13. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

got to do the family thing tomorrow guys, sorry but hope you all have fun...I did fish the big stick today for awhile...so some practice since I didn't catch..lol

14. Chris Johnson

I thought it was today, I have other commitments tomorrow.

15. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

I'll be there.

16. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

Wayne- Thanks again for bringing your 15'ers out.