Anyone used these fancy rio anti twist spey swivels?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +466 / 1
    Well there you go... Thanks deneki.

Any running line will eventually twist and begin to kink it's a given but how quickly depends on your line management. I run mono because its cheap, shoots the best, and if anything compromises it I can cut it and tie a new perfection loop in about 60 seconds and be fishing again confidently. If you step on your ridge line half way through a float, you're gonna have to get a little creative.
  2. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +299 / 0
    Great video. It's also important to make those loops as big as possible because the less line in hand the less chances of running line tangle. I hate when I get those little running line knots and having to stop everything to fix just in case a monster steelie gets on and strips my eye guides out.
    JesseC likes this.
  3. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    I am going to say this one more time; in thirty years of fishing with a two handed rod I have never had problems with line twist. I do nothing special while stripping in line. I strip, I hold a couple of loops, I cast, I swing. No line twist. I am still trying to figure out where all this line twist comes from.
  4. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +726 / 0

Congratulations Kerry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa

I think my brain exploded. Looking forward to getting on the river to give this a whirl to see if it solves the issues. I'm beach fishing tomorrow..... might have to go swing some useless water instead.
    David Dalan likes this.
  6. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    How many loops are you guys running? Maybe I don't cast as far but I never run more than 2 loops(7 and 6 pulls).

Seems like carrying loops of less than 4 pulls and your running line comes off the water to easily and causes issues.
  7. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Three "coils" of 5 pulls on the big rivers.
  8. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +431 / 0
    hey guys. kerry and i are going to be teaching a line management masters level course. its only fifty bucks a head, should take about thirty minutes. then Nate treat will step in for the doctorate level course, he will be handing out swivels and small spoons....pm me if interested.
  9. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    You are a wealth of information Jesse. Did you buy the over priced useless swivels?
  10. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa

You know I did!
  11. danimal Inglorious Twohander

michiana,SW lk mich
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    On intermediate skag heads of large dia.- 570 grns on up to 630 grns- which is what I am fishing.
    I have found the heads to spin in current, thus ruining a couple spools of slick shooter for me..
    I use swivels on the back of these sinkers to mono shooter..Bought my own sz 14 hi strength crane swivels alot cheaper that those that r posted---works great!! I run big game optic in 40-50# now cause its cheaper too..
    JesseC likes this.
  12. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.

Kerry it seems to be really relative to how much running line you are constantly handling. I notice it a lot more with 20' skagit heads on bigger water where you may be stripping 50-60 feet of running line all day. I do think the intermediate skagit heads (both short and submerged) do actually spin a bit in some instances.

Obviously this could make a case for fishing a longer head and handling less running line on bigger rivers. But for me personally I find more versatility with the short head and can deal with a little twisting now and then while giving a little extra thought into how I deal with my coils of line. Plus I catch so many beautiful bull trout doing all that stripping.

I also am in the anti swivel camp on my rods. Doesn't seem right, but whatever works!
  13. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    This is why I am confused. I fish Skagit heads almost exclusively. I would say I am handling 30 to 50 feet of line depending on the run being fished per cast. I get no line twist to speak of. Oh well. I guess I will have to live with it. No fancy over priced swivels for me
  14. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +431 / 0
    perhaps certain brands of heads spin? i don't know just throwing it out there. i fish sa and airflo almost exclusively, with sunken Scandis as well and experience little if any twist. or perhaps low diameter running line?
  15. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    one cause of running line twist is not casting all of the line you have stripped off the reel. if you come tight every cast, you likely will have little to no line twist versus someone who doesn't cast all their line.
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Interesting. Never heard this before. I have heard don't have more line out then you can cast comfortably. Wonder if line twist was the basis for that.
  17. danimal Inglorious Twohander

michiana,SW lk mich
    Ratings: +10 / 0

Ya what he said too...But I'm stickn to my guns bout the large dia. intermediates---just saying:D
  18. Chawhee Active Member

Ratings: +61 / 0
    I tried the loops vs coils. Don't get me wrong it does work well, but feels weird. There is another way though, when doing line pulls, count the pulls and go one less on the next to prevent tangles. So, for example pull in 5 times, next time 4, next time 3 etc. Also, it helps to hold the shooting line in the upper hand on the rod to keep it out of the water. There many ways to skin a cat just saying this works for me!
  19. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    The line twist I speak of isn't probably what you're imagining. I'm not talking about what happens when you fish a blue fox spinner all day without a swivel. I'm not talking about a ratnest. It's a long process that over time leads to increased tangles at the first guide. Picking out those tangles create kinks. Kinks in high wear areas get worse and eventually the running line gets a little beat up. For me it's minor but that twisting does seem to be the culprit and a little preventative maneuver keeps your running line "fresh" and tangle free longer and makes for happy shooting and better fishing for me anyways.

I do agree shooting all your line and barking the hardy at the end not only feels good but does help the situation. But I've been known to hold onto a loop and let it feed into the drift on impact and help sink that fly a little more.... My $.02
    danimal and JesseC like this.
  20. Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0