Anyone wonder where we got all those colors?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave McNeese, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

Streamers were the inspiration for the wide range of colors used in steelhead flies.
    These are mine, but I've also posted Jim Prays streamers, who developed alot of patterns. His style came from Atlantic salmon flies used in Canada, short shank hooks with long wings. After the Washington boys posted great fish in a Field&Stream contest, with their own new style, did Jim change his. He designed the Thor, (and I'm lucky to have a very early one) and from then on, anything new from Jim was written about in national mags.
    DM

2. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Is that bucktail used as the throat on the first three/right side? Thanx for the post, I would love to see anything in your collection which has changed drasiticlly overtime.

3. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

I have many old streamers from east coast tyers and they all used whitetail deer hair for wings, etc, because it was cheap and available. I use polar bear as the flies sink and stay straight when pulled through the water. The flies are much less bulky. I will post some old one's from time to time. Next week I will start with trout flies from the 1820's to the 1880's and you will be surprised at their beauty.
    DM

4. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Good looking streamers, very simple.