April Fly Salon: Cased caddis

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by riseform, Apr 8, 2013.

1. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I'm embarrassed to admit I had no idea what the fly salon was about when I posted some March brown pics last month. I had to go back a few months to get the concept, but here goes.

Somehow, I've dedicated a row of my caddis fly box to cased caddis patterns I've tied over the years after being inspired by various readings. I've never caught a fish on a cased pattern and rarely put one on the end of my line.

With the Mother's Day hatch coming up next month, I figured now would be as good a time as any to roll a plump Brachycentrus cased caddis pattern down a riffle. I may even lighten the tippet with a white grease pen to mimic its anchoring thread.

Here's a not so plump pattern I tied long ago to start things off. Looking forward to seeing any cased patterns others have tied.

[​IMG]

Jack Devlin and McNasty like this.
  2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
  3. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    I'm more curious about how well they work. I've tried them at various times and never seem to have much luck with them. Do some of you all find them effective?

Nice looking pattern, riseform.

4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    October caddis case for the colorful sediments in some Idaho rivers.

October caddis cases.jpg

and the fly:
    October caddis cases.jpg

and the fly:
    October caddis larva 2.jpg

Dick

Jack Devlin likes this.
  5. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    NIce ties guys...but seriously?? Only two people with cased caddis patterns in their box?

For years, I've toyed with promoting a cased caddis swap. Glad I haven't put it out there, it'd rank right up there with participation in my inverted midge and crane fly swaps.:confused:

Anyone who has nymphed has seen countless cased caddis (usually the Brachycentrus wooden/plant cased ones) on the end of their hook after bouncing along the bottom. You know they're down there in the feeding zone!

Here's some inspiration in hopes of seeing more patterns (Oct caddis in this case (pardon the pun))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I have one that I'll get up today!

7. Gary Knowels

Media:
    2 color combos, pretty heavily weighted. Very simple yet effective.

Attached Files:

Eyejuggler, Patrick Gould and McNasty like this.
  8. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Over the years I have used a whole bunch of different cased caddis patterns. At one point, I even made them with the real material - sand, tiny gravel, sticks, and glue. I looked in my fly box and this is the pattern I have been using for the last five years or so particularly on the Elwha River. Simple variegated chennile with wire rib and dubbed head. It works for me. DSC01108.jpeg
    Jack

9. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Very nice simple ties.

10. Gary Knowels

Media:
    I didn't even notice the first 5 times I look at your picture as I was looking at the flies too intently, but I like how you framed the flies with all of the materials you used to make them.

11. Jack Devlin

Gary, you didn't miss anything in the photo. I replaced the first photo. For some reason, the colors in the first photo were off.
    Sorry.
    Jack

12. Jack Devlin

Riseform,
    You have gotten my memory archives churning. As a youngster, I recall that the cased caddis was not only the first fly I learned about for trout fishing but it was the one that fascinated me most. Imagine, a fly that builds its own house from bits of sand, gravel, and sticks. "Amazing" I thought at the time and still do. I have seen some cases which are quite large and elaborate.
    "McMansion" caddis!
    Jack

Eyejuggler and Jeff Dodd like this.
  13. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

14. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    James -

I've tied this a couple different ways, but haven't tied any in several years, since I don't fish them often. The simplest tie, which is the one in that image, is done with a chenille that is mostly olive, with some red in it, and a caddis green dubbed collar. I've also tried to make my own colorful case using rabbit dubbing with bits of colored crystal flash mixed in it. It was a little hard to work with, so I went with the chenille.

Dick

15. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I agree they are amazing little beavers of the insect world. As stated in the first post, I have tied them but never fished them much. I think I just assumed fish wouldn't really want to eat a clump of rocks or sticks for a slight morsel inside. But then, they don't shell crayfish before eating them either (though I think the freshly molted ones are most desirable).

Has anyone ever tried imitating the anchoring thread? Here's an interesting read and technique from Ralph Cutter's website:

16. Jack Devlin

Riseform,
    Like you, I have always been skeptical about using a cased caddis fly. Why would any trout in his right mind eat a hunk of gravel and sticks. But, they do.
    I was not familiar with the thread feature. I always figured they glued themselves to rocks and when they became dislodged they were fair game until they could find another rock to stick to. I wouldn't be surprised if fish actually feed on them by dislodging them??????
    One component of my pattern that I didn't indicate in the material samples and which doesn't readily show up on all but one of the flies is a grouse or partridge feather wrapped at the head of the fly to simulate legs. A grizzly hackle as on your fly is probably better.
    If I can find my old fly wallet, I'll post a photo of the cased caddis we used to make with sand, gravel, sticks, and glue.
    Jack

17. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

reference: The images above illustrate the results of an unusual artistic collaboration between the French artist Hubert Duprat and a group of caddis fly larvae.

18. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Media:
  19. jdbutula

jdbutula Member

image.jpg
    A friend ties these caddies flies with bungee cords

20. Jack Devlin