August Fly Salon - Low Water Steelhead patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chris Bellows, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Moving away from saltwater this month. Let's see your best low-water swinging patterns for steelhead. Extra points for classic patterns with a twist.

I'll try to get something tied up to share by the end of the month after settling in to the new pad in SW Florida.

Chris

2. lelandflies-002.jpg Here's one I've been fishing for a number of years. It's a Brad's Brat I call "Fat Brat."

3. Oh man and I thought I was going to participate. I have some great low water patterns for steel, but they are not at all traditional swinging patterns. Maybe I'll soft hackle one of them!

Blake Harmon likes this.
  4. I really like the look of that rendition Leland.

5. Spring creekers of all colours tied on the same hook Lealand uses (albeit smaller):
    [​IMG]

Same hook, Jim Kerr inspiration:

[​IMG]

Mark Mercer likes this.
  6. What model hook is that, stinger?

7. Thomas, these are Gamakatsu Split Shot Drop Shot hooks. My Fat Brat is a 2/0 hook with size 10 dressings.

Leland.

8. This is tied on a heavy hook (AJ size 3), but could just as easily be tied on a lighter wire.

Sweeney Todd (Variant)
    [​IMG]

9. How aboot some ties/flies here peeps!! :)

plaegreid likes this.
  10. This one is my current "go to" fly. I call it a Fat Train. lelandflies-005.jpg

Tacoma Red and PatrickH like this.

11. Psst... Your Canadian is showing! :D

Also, I might post a crummy cell phone picture of a crummy little fly when I get home if i can get past the intimidation factor of these super sweet flies. #2good4me #holycrapprettyflies #imnotworthy #howdoifishforsteelhead #bieberfever

David Dalan likes this.
  12. Just post em' dude!

13. Very much fishing flies, quickly tied and quickly lost in the trees, rocks, etc. of low water conditions...

I can them 'swinging nymphs'. Recipe is various body combinations followed by a bit UV Minnow Belly flash, the a small amount of natural seal and squirrel tail in a dubbing loop. Hackle collar is red grouse from England.

The squirrel tail in a dubbing loop is a bit of a PITA but the white tips make a nice halo effect.

Forgive the rushed photos.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

constructeur and plaegreid like this.
  14. I have a photographer friend who liked my Fat Flies and shot them a few years ago for a magazine. He gave me the files and I post them because they look pretty good and I like tying these little puppies. Anyway, here is one I shot of a box of fats with my phone.

Leland.
    Box of Fat Flies.JPG

15. Those are awesome flies Leland, I saw them in that magazine a couple years ago and the image always stuck with me, but I wasn't swinging for steelhead at that time.... didn't realize they were yours either.

When you posted a shot of the fly in another post, I got all excited again and tied three versions up, but didn't recognize the hook, so they're on Gami #2 Octopus hooks. I'm picking up Drop shot hooks tomorrow. Thanks for posting, they are awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

miyawaki likes this.
  16. Here is a little tiny green butt whatever!

Attached Files:

17. And an orange whosit!

IMG_20130830_204750_753-1.jpg

Jack Devlin likes this.
  18. I tie and fish a lot of this stuff...

Coachman Spider:

[​IMG]

Green-butt 'Spader'
    [​IMG]

PT 'Spader'
    [​IMG]

Steelhead Softhackles
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

plaegreid likes this.
  19. The only other fly I fish is this one I learned from my friend Juro Mukai. I named it the Creeper. It looks best wet

Leland.
    Creeper.jpg