August Fly Salon - Low Water Steelhead patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chris Bellows, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

Moving away from saltwater this month. Let's see your best low-water swinging patterns for steelhead. Extra points for classic patterns with a twist.

I'll try to get something tied up to share by the end of the month after settling in to the new pad in SW Florida.

Chris

2. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

lelandflies-002.jpg Here's one I've been fishing for a number of years. It's a Brad's Brat I call "Fat Brat."

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Oh man and I thought I was going to participate. I have some great low water patterns for steel, but they are not at all traditional swinging patterns. Maybe I'll soft hackle one of them!

Blake Harmon likes this.
  4. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I really like the look of that rendition Leland.

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Spring creekers of all colours tied on the same hook Lealand uses (albeit smaller):
    [​IMG]

Same hook, Jim Kerr inspiration:

[​IMG]

Mark Mercer likes this.
  6. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

What model hook is that, stinger?

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Thomas, these are Gamakatsu Split Shot Drop Shot hooks. My Fat Brat is a 2/0 hook with size 10 dressings.

Leland.

8. S Fontinalis

S Fontinalis Active Member

This is tied on a heavy hook (AJ size 3), but could just as easily be tied on a lighter wire.

Sweeney Todd (Variant)
    [​IMG]

9. constructeur

How aboot some ties/flies here peeps!! :)

plaegreid likes this.
  10. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

This one is my current "go to" fly. I call it a Fat Train. lelandflies-005.jpg

Tacoma Red and PatrickH like this.
  11. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Psst... Your Canadian is showing! :D

Also, I might post a crummy cell phone picture of a crummy little fly when I get home if i can get past the intimidation factor of these super sweet flies. #2good4me #holycrapprettyflies #imnotworthy #howdoifishforsteelhead #bieberfever

David Dalan likes this.
  12. constructeur

Just post em' dude!

13. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Very much fishing flies, quickly tied and quickly lost in the trees, rocks, etc. of low water conditions...

I can them 'swinging nymphs'. Recipe is various body combinations followed by a bit UV Minnow Belly flash, the a small amount of natural seal and squirrel tail in a dubbing loop. Hackle collar is red grouse from England.

The squirrel tail in a dubbing loop is a bit of a PITA but the white tips make a nice halo effect.

Forgive the rushed photos.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

constructeur and plaegreid like this.
  14. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I have a photographer friend who liked my Fat Flies and shot them a few years ago for a magazine. He gave me the files and I post them because they look pretty good and I like tying these little puppies. Anyway, here is one I shot of a box of fats with my phone.

Leland.
    Box of Fat Flies.JPG

16. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Those are awesome flies Leland, I saw them in that magazine a couple years ago and the image always stuck with me, but I wasn't swinging for steelhead at that time.... didn't realize they were yours either.

When you posted a shot of the fly in another post, I got all excited again and tied three versions up, but didn't recognize the hook, so they're on Gami #2 Octopus hooks. I'm picking up Drop shot hooks tomorrow. Thanks for posting, they are awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

miyawaki likes this.
  17. plaegreid

Here is a little tiny green butt whatever!

Attached Files:

18. plaegreid

And an orange whosit!

IMG_20130830_204750_753-1.jpg

Jack Devlin likes this.
  19. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

I tie and fish a lot of this stuff...

Coachman Spider:

[​IMG]

Green-butt 'Spader'
    [​IMG]

PT 'Spader'
    [​IMG]

Steelhead Softhackles
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

plaegreid likes this.
  20. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

The only other fly I fish is this one I learned from my friend Juro Mukai. I named it the Creeper. It looks best wet

Leland.
    Creeper.jpg