Back to the future, old school Sage

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by kurtataltos, Mar 8, 2014.

1. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Took a chance and bid on a 5100-3 Sage on Ebay and actually got it at (I believe) a reasonable, no gouge price. Very, very nice condition. Went to the local school yard to catch some grass blade fish, strictly catch and release of course. Put on a Ross G1 and a WF5F Cortland and a WF5 Rio midge tip. I may be old and senile and gawd knows what else but this rod is a joy to cast. It's not "work", rather, it's "fun". Not a broom stick or a finicky timed rocket launcher. Nope. And highly accurate to distances I don't care about. Sometimes "old school" is just really, really good school.

Enjoy !
    fredaevans likes this.
  2. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    What would you consider a reasonable ball park price range for a custom built SP 7100-3. I'm not asking what you paid for your rod just an opinion on the value of an SP 7100-3

TC
  3. William Wallace Active Member

Chesterton IN
    Ratings: +200 / 0
    Saw that one. Love the 5100, perfect rod. Congrats on the catch!
  4. Slate Run Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +33 / 3
    What model, if I may ask? SP, RPL, etc……..?

Yesterday I received my second Sage GFL 690 RPL Graphite III from an eBay purchase. I already have the slightly longer 696 RPL, and love it.

With many of us re-discovering the pleasures of casting a "slower" rod, I fear we may be doomed to the poverty that comes with buying bamboo. :cool:
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. ScottP Active Member

Ratings: +898 / 0
    Stopped taking my 696 RPL and 490 LL (both 2pc) to MT when the airlines tightened restrictions on carry-ons. Now that I drive out, they're back in the mix; old friends.

Regards,
    Scott
    Slate Run likes this.
  6. kurtataltos Active Member

Los Altos, CA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    Slate Run: RPL. Cork is great, almost looks unused, seat is great . You have to look for tiny blemishes. Stillwater fly shop in Bend was selling it on Ebay. They did well. I have a 6100 2 piece and continue to enjoy it after 25 years. I think the 5100 will work out nicely.
    Slate Run likes this.
  7. Slate Run Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +33 / 3
    RPL -- As a local guide would say, "Noice".