Backing for 8 Weight Reel?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by RLMadison, Sep 18, 2013.

1. RLMadison New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hi, I'm looking for opinions on what weight backing to put on my 8 weight reel. Will be used for fishing Puget Sound salmon (coho's and pinks). At present, I'm thinking of using an OB Short Floating and polyleaders in front of the backing.

20 pound backing would seem to be sufficient for these smaller fish, but is it better to just go up to 30 pound backing to avoid the backing becoming the weak link?

Thanks,

tom
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    I like 30# on all 6wt and above reels. I don't know much though. That is just what I favor.
  3. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +765 / 0
    Ive also noticed that 30 doesn't kink as much if you backlash, and is much easier to undo tangles. altogether it seems easier to handle. I recently had a friend that lost an entire line when his backing backlashed, knotted then broke on a large salmon. Not sure if he was running 20 or 30 though.
  4. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +201 / 0
    How much room do you have on your reel? If there's plenty of room for the amount of backing you want in 30lb then use that. Most reel manufacturers have suggested backing (amount and weight) to go with a certain line. My new Allen Kraken calls for 200yrds of 30lb and that's what I just spooled up tonight. Perfect. I like 30lb for extra piece of mind but mostly the extra thickness.
  5. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Ditto. 30 if you can fit >75 yds. If you have more than that out on an 8wt rod, you are probably hosed anyways and will have to break off. I have too often broken "lightly used" 20lb backing with a good tug in my hands. I would have trouble doing the same with 12 or 15 lb Ultragreen leader, so I'd hate to lose my fly line by running 20lb backing.
  6. Fishee Member

seattle
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    I say 6 weight and above go with 30lbs backing. Better feel and avoid kinks, and backlash. Of course, that also depend on the size of your reel.
  7. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    I believe with backing one very important thing to remember is to keep good tention on it when your installing it on your reel. If you place the backing spool on a pencil then run the line over a book and stack 3 or 4 heavy books on top of the line you should have enough tention on it. This should stop the backlishing problems. unless your in free spool and run into your backing which you really should not let happen. If you do it this way good 20 lb backing should work fine for even up to a small King. Do not do this with your fly line as you want it to lay on the reel loose, to reduce the set it will take.
  8. tridentfly Member

Ratings: +6 / 0

FWIW, I've switched all my reels over to 40lb PowerPro Hollow Ace, which gives you an amazing amount of flexibility in how to use a reel.
  9. Gray Ghost Member

Flowing Waters
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    30lb. Dacron on all reels.

The main reason for 30lb. Dacron is because I put a 6" Double Blind Splice loop at the end of all my backing, thus allowing for changing fly lines with rear loops. A Double Blind Splice can be done with 20lb. Dacron, but it is a lot harder because of the smaller size.

30lb. Dacron is a lot better insurance than 20lb. Dacron for not losing any fly lines also.

http://midcurrent.com/videos/tying-the-blind-spliced-loop/

GG
  10. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    I use a Bimini Twist for the same reason. If I ever hook a salmon that spools me and I loose all my fly line and 20 lb backing you will never hear the end of it. I will be one happy old man.
  11. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    I just did a doubled surgeons loop for connection to my fly line's loop. I like the doubled up loop because it seats with the fly line loop better. Bag, maybe you'll hook in to a nasty chum next month that will get you close! I had a couple fish take me WAY in to my backing last year. Fun stuff!
  12. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    I would enjoy that
  13. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Not sure if I've posted it, but next time I see you remind me and I'll give you one of our winning flies from last year. :)
  14. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I like using a bimini twist in my 30-lb backing. It's a very satisfying knot to tie for some reason :p
  15. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    And you tie a very nice one I might add. I went down to the backing on the reel you sold me, because I wanted to see what knot you used and if I liked it or not. If that knot is going to fail it is not because I didn't check it.
  16. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +204 / 0
    This is why it's a good idea to get your backing installed at your local shop. There's a world of difference between machine spooling and doing it yourself. They should do a professional job joining backing to line as well. Insist on a secure loop to loop connection or at least a nested nail knot.
  17. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +644 / 0
    I like the 30 pound test Gel Spun backing for that setup. I would agree with using it on anything from a 7 weight rod on up. Most certainly on an 8 weight. To join line to backing I use two nail knots, spaced about an inch apart, directly to the flyline, leaving about 1/4" inch of tag end on the fly line exposed beyond the terminal nail knot. I have used this system on heavier rods, #9, #10 and #11 weights, for much heavier fish, like big Alaska Kings or Striped bass. Never failed me. If this connection gets heavily stressed in use, if you are playing big hard running and fighting fish with the line and backing out of the rod, then you need to retie the whole connection to keep it strong and new. I clip off a few feet of backing and retie it all.
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com