Backpacking stove

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Gary Knowels, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +879 / 0
    You might take a look at what sort of stove is legal in the forest now; my Kelly Kettle won't pass muster, and I'd be willing to bet the liquid stoves won't either due to the priming requirement. All this depends on fire restrictions though. Another thing to remember is the canister stuff, although folks say won't work as well in cold weather, works fine all year round here. In sub-zero temps it can give problems, but how often do we get to -8 degrees?

If Kelly made a titanium version of their small kettle, and I didn't need to worry about that fire in the base (regarding fire restrictions) I'd go with that if you're only boiling water. But those are big "ifs"!
  2. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +236 / 0
    That's a good point.

I remember lighting my Svea 123 while backpacking in the Ventana Wilderness in California. I was still in school, majoring in Forestry.

I was in my sleeping bag when I lit the stove and it flared up. I looked around and all I could see was dried leaves. Holding the bottom of the stove in my hand, hoping that it would not get hot all I could think of was "this was NOT going to look good on my resume".

Now all you have to worry about is paying for the cost of the forest fire. If anything flies, just declare bankruptcy at the front end and save everybody the trouble. If nothing flies, your homeowners and liability insurance might cover it if your lucky and have plenty of insurance.
  3. dfg Member

Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Wouldn't it have been easier to take the leaves out of your sleeping bag?
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  4. wa_desert_rat Active Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    I bought an Optimus 8 in 1972 and have been using it ever since. Does require priming and that can be tricky but with experience it's not a big deal. I'm pretty sure it will last 100 years. It looks like a square box when it's closed up and pretty easy to pack. Expensive new but probably a zillion of them in garages all over the PNW.

Craig
    bennysbuddy likes this.
  5. sroffe Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Some of the older canister type stoves you can't get fuel for any more. I have a Globe Trotter that uses the canister. It punctures the the top, and you have to use all the fuel before changing it out.

I replaced that one with a little stove by SOTO. It's just a little burner that screws directly onto a canister. It's nice and convienient. Packs into my pots and pans real easily too.

I also have a MSR Whisper Light. It has two basic settings. Off and HOT!
  6. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    Mumbles hooked me up with a campingaz canister top stove a bit back. I did a test run that night and it boiled a pint in just a few minutes. used it camping twice now and and more than happy with it, especially for the price :D
  7. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    That's my favorite stove, it'll last forever. Make sure to take the canister to bed with you on cold nights. They put out less BTUs when cold.
  8. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    Thanks for the tip, it wasn't cold when I was camping, but will try to remember to in the future!
  9. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +333 / 5
    Warming helps, but there are a couple more important keys to keeping your canister stove firing in freezing temps:

1. CHeck your fuel. Make sure you are buying isobutane or -- better yet -- isobutane/propane blend fuel canisters rather than pure butane. Iso stays gaseous at lower temps than butane, and iso/propane is good at even colder temps. Remember, the key to canisters is that the fuel is already in a gaseous state when it leaves the canister and hits the stove (that's why the fuel line doesn't run through the flame like it does on a liquid-fuel stove -- that flame-heated fuel line is there to heat the fuel to a gaseous state).
    2. Turn your fuel canister upside in cold weather. This won't work on a canister-mounted stove, (which is yet another reason it is a good idea to buy a free-standing stove) but the upside down stove will still draw fuel, even though it might a liquid state fuel. It it initially spurter in the stove, but eventually, the stove will heat up the fuel line as it approaches the stove and the stove will work perfectly even in deep sub-zero temps.
    SnowPeak and MSR have the best isobutane/propane blends in their canister. Currently I think they run thus:
    MSR: 80% isobutane, 20% propane
    Snow Peak: 85% iso, 15% propane
  10. TROUTsniffer Member

Arlington, wa
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    i have a soto od-1r (i think thats the model) it's canister and it has a built in piezo ignition. works great for mountain house meals, and is regulated if you want to cook on an actual pan it works decent too...it's also nearly as small as the msr pocket rocket
  11. GreenFisher New Member

auburn, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I too use a CampGaz stove and it works well. Tough to find canisters for it over here in Pullman as the only store that carries them is a little shop in Moscow, ID. I still use it though and love the stove.
  12. Robert Thomas New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
  13. Scotto55 New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
  14. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Here's something super cheap, not super elegant, but reliable and simple. photo (58).JPG
  15. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    Jetboil works well for me when the duck blind menu calls for hot water boiled quickly. Probably wouldn't try to use it to really cook anything. There seems to be a magic switch somewhere in the burner that goes off when the water starts boiling, that is always the exact time a flock of ducks appears out of nowhere and lands in the decoys.
  16. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
  17. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
  18. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +16 / 0
  19. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    My Bud lite alcohol burner...
    P1020207.JPG
  20. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Wow. I didn't know Bud Lite had that much alcohol........
    Ed Call and bitterroot like this.