Backpacking stove

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Gary Knowels, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Another cheap option was something I learned from my Dad. He worked his whole over 18 career at a corrugated box factory. Of course, they have seal coat/wetloc machines (one sided wax and infused was inside and out on both sides). What he used to do was take a tuna fish can, use an old fashioned oil can opener (or one of the metal can openers with punch top) and make holes on the side for oxygen, and cut a wetloc box (that's the infused wax box, like you see in supermarkets for some produce and frozen meats) so it would fit into the can with just a small amount of room from top of corrugated to where top of can is. He would roll it of course. So looked almost like a cinnamon roll shape in it. He would melt some extra wax to melt over it and seal it into the can. Would ignite fast and had a can cut for it just a tad bit bigger to toss over it to extinguish it. You could put a small pan over the top of it and it would cook up super fast. Cheap and easy to make (and anyone can still make it). Just my Dad had access to make them super easy. In fact, he used to make firestarters with the bad wetloc boxes.

2. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

You can buy a new gas tank cap with a valve built into it and a mini hand pump to put a end for the need to prime the stove

3. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

....but priming them with fire is much more fun!!:D

wa_desert_rat likes this.
  4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I will agree anything that has the potentual of burning down your tent adds to the fun factor of your camping trip!!!!

5. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

6. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

THATS pretty cool.

7. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

8. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

I have a jet boil and a Caldara Keg-F Alcohol stove. The Caldara is very light. 10oz includes the burner, pot, windscreen, carrying case and denatured alcohol for a 4-day trip. Best alcohol stove I've ever used. The Jet-Boil is fast but quite a bit heavier.

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-keg-f-stove-system

9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Another Svea 123 man here.
    Maybe nothing to break but... I bought this thing about the same time and it worked like crap the first few trips. Had a hard time keeping it lit. I realized eventually that either it didn't come with the diffuser, or I'd lost it. At this point it's one of those tried and true friends I won't part with. I'm just not an ounce shaver. There's a bunch of old school guys that use the 123. I've thought about the Jetboils but think I'll stay the course.
    Alex - I also use a Kelly Kettle occasionally, mostly car camping though. As they say, a good emergency stove. "The Volcano" or the "Benghazi Boiler".

10. Jerry Daschofsky

11. wa_desert_rat

REI carries them (at least the store in Kennewick has them). So you'd think there would be a few around.

Craig

12. bitterroot

It's that time of year when i get out my lanterns and stoves and give them a test run.
    Here's a shot of an old trusted friend, my Optimus 99. Not the lightest, fastest or most fuel efficient but totally trustworthy and well, just cool!
    Sorry for the lack of photo...doing this from my phone has been challenging.

13. wa_desert_rat

I have an Optimus 8 (the one in its own metal box) that I bought in Paris in 1972. Still works great. Totally reliable.

Craig

14. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Yes. The Biolite burns very efficiently (and quite hot) thanks to the self-recharging battery powering a fan that is vented into the firebox in a cyclonic action. The USB power port has recharged my GPS and even camera batteries during field testing. It's a VERY proven system -- see here:

http://www.adventuresnw.net/2013/03/combined-heat-and-power/

15. bitterroot

Since both the SVEA 123 and the Optimus have come up in the conversation I thought I'd throw out a personal observation for anyone who loves those old stoves.
    I believe the Svea 123 comes to a full roar faster than the Optimus because of the placement of the fuel tank directly below the burner where it is heated more efficiently than if the burner was to the side like in the Optimus design. The Optimus will still get to a full roar, it just takes a bit longer. Both designs benefit from having a pot on the burner to direct some of the heat to the fuel tank. That being said, I still prefer the Optimus over the Svea 123 because of the lower center of gravity/ wider base. The Svea 123 always seemed a little "tippy". Still, it's hard to resist that cute little brass Svea 123!
    Can you tell I love these old stoves? :D Note: My backpacking days are pretty much over so weight is not an issue I am taking in to account. The more modern stove designs mentioned in the above posts shine in that regard. If I were climbing at any significant altitude or in extreme low temps I would still opt for the Svea or Optimus regardless of weight, as they are unaffected by both.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

I actually get the idea behind it. Had a customer on my old route who ran his house off same principle actually. Burned for heat, had heat fans that generated the electricity for the house.

For me, the idea is cool, but I want as LITTLE electronics with me on the water (besides maybe a camera) as possible. Camera will last weeks on a charge, even with heavy usage. And for me, I can actually do LandNav the old fashioned way, so don't need the GPS if I ever got into that situation. Plus how rarely I use my phone out there, my battery lasts for days too.

17. wa_desert_rat

I understand how you feel. In my case I have to have connectivity as much as possible at least every couple of days. Not so much to keep family apprised of my well-being (several of whom would be just as happy if I went off into the wilderness and stayed there) but because I have servers, routers, and other devices that I'm responsible for keeping in good working order; or at least working order.

The downside is that I have to plan trips where I'm somewhat regularly within reach of cell towers and have to carry devices which must be protected from water and extreme temperatures; at least they're light nowadays, thank heavens!

The upside is that between a business which takes care of networked systems and a business which has two web sites with ads on them (and an income - such as it is) practically everything I own and do is tax deductible! :D

Craig

18. Jerry Daschofsky

LOL, almost all my trips are tax deductible on the water. :) From business write offs to volunteer. I just need to do it more often, rarely write off my PHWFF stuff. LOL.

19. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

I have used the snowpeaks gigapower stove with optional windscreen, awsome light weight stove, use it for climbing, backpacking, and multiday backpack style kayaking

http://www.campsaver.com/gigapower-stove-manual?gclid=CI_XtrL21LcCFZFFMgod1zUAsg
    http://www.backcountry.com/snow-pea...5&origin=pla&gclid=CLSI3r721LcCFapcMgodOj8AyA

on another note, those who carry the least amount of weight usually have the most fun. See if you can get a hold of Ray Jardines book of the Ray Way, lots of stuff here: Some very unconventional stuff and some stuff that makes a lot of sense to me.
    http://www.rayjardine.com/index.shtml

20. wa_desert_rat

I have never been a fan of stoves that use disposable fuel canisters; just rubs me the wrong way. We have enough of a disposable culture as it is.

I like his ideas and the "kit" method (even if it does take food out of the mouths of kids in Bangladesh). But at 70 with a knee replacement and arthritis I no longer backpack and, as long as I don't portage, I can carry a lot in my kayak and still get there sitting flat on my ass. :)

My "camping" is mostly Jeep camping or even (gasp!) in a motor home. At some point it's time to put aside prejudices and do whatever it takes to get out there. But I draw the line at disposable fuel canisters. At least for me.

Craig