Backpacking stove

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Gary Knowels, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

Good points Craig, but the canisters are recyleable if emptied properly and they actually can be refilled as well. Do a little googling, there are a few methods to fill butane mix "disposable" canisters. Of course a small fire works well and results in no waste :), my first backpacking method learned as a cubscout, small fire heating water on a coffee can with handle made from bent metal hanger. Light and easy. Just need to learn how to build small hot fire in various environments and weather conditions. Used the coffee can/small fire method to hike the PCT in oregon (not all at one trip though)
    Cheers
    Shap

2. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

This is why I want to try the Biolite ( http://www.biolitestove.com/ ) stove. Their motto is "see what a handful of sticks can do". The stove uses thermal energy to power a small fan which makes the fire very hot; the ability to charge your GPS is just an extra feature. My experiments with small twig-burning stoves has always been ok as far as heat goes but not so ok as far as smoke on the pans goes. This seems to me to be a great idea.

Perhaps too bulky for backpacking but not for kayaking and/or Jeep camping (or bicycle camping).

Craig

3. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

gimme that old Svea, Optimus or Primus; a splash of fuel in the pan, the flick of the Bic, and you're off & purring! But I confess; given the need to haul out venison in the same pack I haul my bivouac stuff, the smaller and lighter the better, and a canister works for me, along with titanium everything else, to lighten the load.

5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Come on Alex, Nix the Bic get a zippo. Patton didn't kick ass all over europe carrying a BIC itwas a ZIPPO.

6. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I know, but it's easier to rhyme "flick of the Bic"!!

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

I love my JetBoil. I went on a guided trip on the Yak last spring, in April, and it was super cold, blustery, and windy (imagine the Yakima being windy, right?). The guide had one of these JetBoil units for heating up water for our hot beverages and Top Ramen, and it was an incredible little unit. I bought one immediately when I got home. Kent hit the nail on the head with this recommendation, IMHO.

8. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

The first time I used a Jetboil I thought it was one of the best pieces of gear I'd ever purchased. On Mt. Adams two weeks ago we had an MSR Reactor and a Jetboil Sumo in our group and at 10k feet the MSR was far faster to boil water, probably due to it's burner design vs. the flame Jetboil uses (that is often misdirected from the wind). If I were buying today for a stove that was more or less for boiling water/dehydrated meals I'd go MSR.

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I saw a video interview with the inventor of the Biolite Stove today with a demo of how it works. Would be handy to have out in the boonies if you had reception and a smart-phone (or any cell phone or device) that needed charging.
    You could live in a van down by the river a lot easier with one of those!

I have a Snowpeak canister stove, and the first canister I bought is still good, after 5 days of use on one hiking trip, and a couple of water boilings since then. I only have a couple of spare canisters now. I packed a spare canister in, and back out, never needing it. I think that if I am departing on a 5-day trip, I only will need one fresh fuel canister, and not have to pack a spare.
    Does this sound about right? One doesn't want to run out of fuel, but one also doesn't want to pack unnecessary extra canisters.

10. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Kelly Kettle...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the smallest but pretty damned cool. Fits when packed for a trip.
    [​IMG]