Backpacks?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sawyer, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    I'm looking for a water resistant /waterproof pack, figured I ask too see if anyone has some suggestions.

Edit: I should add that this pack will be getting used as transport type bag, I don't plan on wearing it on the beach, river or boat.

Basically here's the ideal pack:

• Straps to stick a rod tube (or 2) on the sides with
    • Water resistant/waterproof
    • Be able to put waders + boots in or on the outside
    • Outside compartment with pockets small for stuff to go in.
    I may just get a Hip pack or Sling pack to put leaders, tippet, fly boxes and other stuff in, then throw it inside the bag.

I found the Sage DXL Typhoon backpack looking around on the web, any thoughts on this pack? It's pretty dang close to what I'm looking for.

Also looked at the Patagonia Black hole packs, I like the 35L but I'm skeptical about getting waders and boots into it + extra stuff.
    The 45L or 60L Black hole duffel bag may end up being the thing I go with and use the hip pack or sling pack option to go inside, but the duffel bags don't have side straps, Well I'm rambling again...

All suggestions welcome!
    Thanks

Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. David A.

David A. Upside down.

Home Page:
    Left of centre suggestion -
    I have an Ortleib pack for my camera gear when fishing and it's proved very waterproof and comfortable with a pretty full load.
    The harness/waist straps are excellent.
    It's probably not going to be as fishing friendly as some of the Fishpond (ect) gear, but I would rather that then wet cameras..

3. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I would strongly suggest not buying packs from manufacturers that do not specialize in them. Only two brands I would ever buy and own them both are Maxpedition, and Camelbak. There is no simms, sage, or patagonia pack that can compare.

Ron McNeal likes this.
  4. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

FYI, I have an Osprey Stratos 40 (40L) size large in the fire sale thread. Hasn't seen the woods but I bought it because it was highly rated (REI) and my 5 piece would fit inside (incognito) along with enough stuff to spend the night at the lake. May not be what you're looking for but it's a very nice pack. Size large and hydration.
    Oh, it has side carry ability for longer cases/rods too.

Sawyer likes this.
  5. kmudgn

kmudgn Member

I use an Orvis Safe Passage backpack which is designed to hold 2 rods in tubes. It is not waterproof and I am unsure if they still make it as I bought it at the outlet store in Manchester VT about 10 years ago. I use it for travel and hiking and it has held up very well. If you have some money to spend, try these people: http://duluthpack.com

The probably make the "best" packs in the US and I am sure that they would customize any of their packs to hold rod(s).

6. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I'm pretty happy with my REI Flash 22, but it definitely doesn't meet your requirements. It is easy to just stuff it with food and a jacket, though. And it would be easy enough to tie a rod tube on the back. That combined with my Simms Flats hip pack would be perfect for any long day fish hike.

7. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Waterproof and outside pockets don't generally go together without $$$. You might look at Mountain Hardwear's OutDry pack's. Another option would just be to find any pack you like and get a waterproof pack cover for it.

8. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    The Patagonia packs have outside pockets and you can submerge them without stuff getting wet.
    Only problem is the packs I saw at my local fly shop are too small for waders and boots + extras to fit into and the outside pocket is for like tippet and stuff

9. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Unless they changed the zipper on the black hole pack, it's not submersible.

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:

Cascade Designs Seal Line bags and packs are the gold standard for waterproof gear stowage. I have used the Guide packs, and other dry bags, for many years. You can adapt them for tying on rods and tubes etc. As needed. These are heavy duty serious bags for whitewater and kayak tripping, expeditions etc. I can't say enough good for them.
    www.cascadedesigns.com/sealline/

11. Fotdesign

Fotdesign New Member

Here's a couple of ideas. Checkout Seattle Sports, Cascade Designs-SealLine and Fishpond. The first two companies I used there packs for years on and off the water. Best prices on durable dry bags. Patagonia makes great products too. You can also buy accessory pockets to add on and take them off when flying. I use a Fishpond lumber pack all the time that's water resistant. Good luck.

Sawyer likes this.
  12. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    The Stormfront pack was the one I was thinking of.

13. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    The outside zipper on the Stormfront is not submersible. None of the manufacturers I've seen making true waterproof zippered packs (Patagonia, Ortlieb and Sagebrush Drygoods), none of them use a second T-zip as those submersible drysuit-style zippers are crazy expensive. They use the same water-resistant type of zipper that all the other bag makers use as their main zipper and all of them will leak and fill the compartment with water.

Bob Triggs and Sawyer like this.
  14. SquatchinSince86

SquatchinSince86 Totally Unprofessional

Media:
    You could spend less money on a quick drying lightweight bag. I also use an REI flash, but i separate all my gear into dry sacks. I just pull out what I need (color coded) everything stays dry.

15. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Member

Check out www.exomountaingear.com , it's a new pack that was designed from the ground up as a backcountry hunting pack. The main bag is waterproof and it has two vertical side pockets that you can fit a spotting scope (or rod tubes) into. There is a lid with a zippered pocket and a larger exterior stretchy material pocket that you can stuff rain gear or waders into. If you have too much gear to fit into the pack you can pull it away from the frame and use that space to pack even more stuff.

I purchased the 3500 and so far have been impressed with it. I'll be taking it on a backcountry fishing trip next week and will report on how it works out for me. Additionally this pack will be going to Alaska with me for ten days in the bush in September. The 3500 denotes the size of the main bag which doesn't take into account the side pockets and the lid pocket. The pack is made in Idaho.

16. Sawyer

Sawyer Active Member

Media:
    I really like that idea Wapiti, but $500 is out of my price range at the moment....

17. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Very cool pack, but if you need a truly waterproof pack, not just water-resistant, you better bring a drybag to put inside it for things that absolutely can't get wet as that pack is not waterproof. A waterproof pack uses not only waterproof fabrics, but the seams are either taped or welded to prevent water from leaking through the seams. The closure is either a drybag-style roll closure or a very expensive waterproof zipper like found on dry suits or lately, waders, or a heavy duty Ziplock-style zipper (which often needs Velcro over them so they don't pop open).

ALL water-resistant zippers leak. They are basically normal zippers with a coating on the base fabric so water doesn't wick through the zipper as easily. Using water-resistant zippers to close truly waterproof pack or pocket means one thing - you essentially have a bucket and you'll be pouring water out of it in heave rain, if you wade too deeply, fall, swim, etc.

In any case, you have an awesome pack but if you'll be using it in extended serious rain, floating a river or doing any deep wading, you really should add a waterproof pack liner/drybag.

The problem with true waterproof packs is that almost no one makes a full-featured pack like a normal backpack. However, Ortlieb makes a wide range of waterproof packs with lots of features -compression straps, daisy chains, helmet/rope/wader flap pocket, etc. http://www.ortliebusa.com/ProdList.asp?scat=3

In addition, Patagonia (Stormfront) and Sagebrush DryGoods make great waterproof fishing packs that have rod attachment options. Plus any number of companies make what are essentially dry bags with a harness (Cascade Designs, Seattle Sports, Watershed, etc.). There are also some great super lightweight packliner/drybags on the market (Granite Gear, OR, Exped, etc) that can turn any pack into a waterproof one and for someone who needs a full featured fishing pack, this might be the best and cheapest option.

Salmo_g, Sawyer and underachiever like this.
  18. martyg

martyg Active Member

It is clear that as a transport bag you simply don't need it to be waterproof. Anything that is waterproof will be constructed via seam welding and not have any stitching, unless a strap is stitched to a patch that is then welded to the main body of the pack.

Also... Zippers... As Freestone said zippers will be an issue. True waterproof zippers are wicked expensive - like $17.00 and up FOB Asia pricing for quantities in the thousands. What you see most manufacturers using is a reverse zipper. A reverse zipper is nothing more than a regular zipper sewn in backwards. To give it a "tech", "waterproof" look the binding material that the teeth are bonded to is coated with a PEVA substance. Not waterproof by any means.

My favorite transport bag for ski instruction is a Thule duffel. You are correct that 35 liters won't do the job. With the Thule I can stow a pair of alpine boots, extra gloves, extra fleece, instructor jacket, lunch, goggles a water bottle and munchies.

FYI Thule, hands down, makes the best rolling luggage on he market. Every other manufacturer uses standard wheel kits from suppliers - and the wheel kits are the hart of any piece of rolling luggage. Thule bit the bullet and spent the $40K on tooling to create their own wheels.

Freestone and underachiever like this.
  19. martyg

martyg Active Member

Why is that? Don't you think that designers from Patagonia, Dana Designs, Osprey, etc. don't go to work for companies like Orvis, Simms or Eddie Bauer? Or that the before mentioned companies contract design work out to independents who might do a project for brand A one month and a project for brand B another?

When you get to know the world that you are looking at you'll see that it is a very small handful of people making the specialty pack business go round and round, and only a handful of factories producing at that level.

I wold also be extremely hesitant to put CB packs anywhere near the level of design and material engineering and sourcing as a Patagonia product.

Sawyer, Freestone and underachiever like this.
  20. FlyNewbie

FlyNewbie Hooked...

Eberlestock is the bomb when it comes to packs