Barbed vs. barbless debate resolved?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alosa, May 31, 2013.

1. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Fishing barbless affords me an excuse otherwise lacking with barbed hooks.

Jim Wallace and Kcahill like this.
  2. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

Pulling out chunks of flesh, be it the fish or my own, is not fun. And, as an added bonus, barbless is easy to remove from clothing, fanny pack, boot laces, boat anchor line and my old school mesh net (come on, admit it you've hooked one or all of those at one time or another). I buy barbed hooks and use my pliers to mash it flat when I get ready for the vise. That little bump, IMO helps keep them connected, but works same as true barbless if done right.​
    Freestoneangler
    Me too, I've tagged myself and my clothes enough to know barbless is the way to go, I've seen some horror 'hook ups' when sea angling and pics of flies in eyes to know barbless is the way to go. If it does go badly wrong in a sensitive place it can slip out again if there's no barb, otherwise its the emergency room.

Dave the barbless

3. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Come on Richard... be honest now. You have the tying addiction like the rest of us. :p

4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I often tell my wife, after returning from a day of fishing, but little catching, "at least I lost a few flies..."

D

5. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
  6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Can someone post some links to some "GOOD BARBLESS HOOKS"

It seems on the west side (wet side) shops do not carry very many dry fly hooks let alone a selection of good barbless hooks with maybe a longer point. I fish both ways since I fish so many put and take lakes. If I actually fished small streams for small trout I would never use a barbed hook. But I chose to not even hook those smaller stream native fish and haven't for about 25 years. I have no need to catch 8 to 12 inch native fish and have to handle them.

Like mentioned, handling to me has everything to do with it. larger trout nets so the fish can remain up-right and relaxed covered in water while you are getting a hold of the hook with fingers or pliers helps a lot of fish. Many times when I'm pinching down barbs I will notice sometimes the barb doesn't get pinched all the way.

And what ever happened to the dry fly hooks that had a wire above the hook to tie may-fly tails on? maybe someone can help all of us and post a link for "good barbless hooks" thanks in advance.

Yeah I'm being lazy today and should just look for a link myself on this damn computer but figure some of you have already been researching this and settled on a place with good hooks at a good price.

7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
  8. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Same here. Not complicated..........

Also, when I release a fish I caught on a barbed hook it typically seems fine to me. The mortality I have witnessed would have likely occurred barbless or not because the fish inhaled the fly.

9. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Well stick one of the "new age" style hooks with the tiny barb all the way through your left ear and a properly crimped barbless hook all the way through your right ear and then pull them back out. It will be obvious that it does make quite a bit of difference.

It shouldn't take any studies or articles to tell anyone with any common sense that a barbed hook is harder on a fish then a barbless hook is.

Bob Triggs and Brett Angel like this.
  10. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Ira you ever use his wide gap on dies? did those tend to sink a little more than regular. seems like a good idea when going small. wish he had some up-eyed ones. thanks, I had never looked at his hooks that much.

11. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

As a fisher I would expect nothing less from you, Richard. It is mandatory for a fisher person to stretch the heck out of the truth, if not to down right lie. :D

12. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I don't tie a lot of dry flies, so I haven't tried the wide gap hooks. I do use scud hooks and jig hooks a lot on my nymph, chironomids and leeches. I like the gap and strength of their barbless scud hooks and their jig hooks have been working great.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  13. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I kinda side with the "old man" on this one. I've heard biologists say the barbless hooks result in more fatalies due to deeper penetration but my experience is barbless hooks are easier to get out of your hide and I don't seem to loose any fish so it is a matter of self protection, not fish protection.....

14. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I always go barbless for trout and when fly casting, barbless for salmon when required by law (nearly everywhere in WA now, right?), but I like barbed hooks when jigging in the salt for bottom fish with coventional gear, because I am also food fishing when I go after them.

As far as I'm concerned, fly fishing for trout is a completely different game than jigging for bottom fish in the salt. For me, the former is purely for fun, relaxation, and entertainment out in Nature and away from crowds, while the latter is primarily for getting food, although it is also fun.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  15. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I'd love to read the article, but I am also not going to pay $26 for the privilege. Yesterday, I paid $98 for this years license and Discover Pass. And, I didn't even get kissed! My email is billaubrey27@me.com.

Thanks.

Olive bugger likes this.
  16. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I remember well a few years ago when 3 of us were fishing for sea runs in the salt out of a 17 foot Whaler. My buddy was casting a large brown and yellow wooly bugger that he hung from my ear. It pierced it completely and shed a little blood. It was just hanging there like an ear ring. I didn't even realize it until he told me to be still and that he was a surgeon and it would be easy to remove. The only damage was the fact that the jackass refused to take my picture--what a great shot that would have been. He was right though--it slid right out. Barbless all the way.

17. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I had the same problem. I solved it by using a magnet instead of the shearling.

Trapper

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I don't have to dry out my flies. I just snap them off in the bushes along side the skinny water here in Montana. Flies to me are cheap. What don't get tied up for me I buy. I can part with a few bucks when fishing. I don't smoke or drink' so I have to spend my money on flies.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  19. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Bill, I have a subscription to NAJFM and sent you a copy of the article.

20. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    When I was a kid back in the 1950s and 1960s, I filled the family freezer with trout. By mid summer my mother was giving them away. By the time I went into the Navy in 1968, I ate so many trout I didn't care if I never ate another one. When I read Lee Wulff's philosophy of catch & release, it made perfect sense to me. I got rid of my creel and had room in my freezer for meat like elk and venison. If trout tasted like Sockeye, I'd probably be bonking them on the head.

During the years I guided, I netted and pulled the hooks out of many, many, trout. That part of fly fishing holds no allure for me. I have so many grip n grin hero shots of me holding fish that I can't even tell you about the fish or many times even where I caught it. So landing a fish so I can get a photo isn't important.

Watching a trout rise to my fly still gets my heartbeat up even after all these years. Trying to outwit these brain stems with fins may seem silly to the non-angler types, but then spending hours on a Playstation seems pretty stupid to me. I guess that makes us even.

Call me shallow, but after I get a trout to take my fly, getting it to my net "so I can count it as caught" holds no importance to me whatsoever. I wasn't always that way, but that's where I am now. If I stick a fish and he does a little tail dance that throws my fly, I am not one to get angry. On the contrary, it's perfect in my POV. I got what I came for (that accelerated heart rate) and did very little harm.

We fly anglers sometimes delude ourselves into thinking just because a caught fish swims off, it's a sure sign we didn't kill it. But, I've shot elk through the heart with a 180 gr bullet and it ran over a hill and out of sight before it died. It's running didn't mean it wasn't dead.

My conclusion is this. If you fish with barbed hooks because of some need to keep score or because you want to catch and kill trout, I won't judge you. I used to do that very same thing. Personally, I think it's important for me to ask myself why I fly fish and what gear I need to satisfy the answer I come up with. If my gear is over kill, I change. For me, barbed hooks are counter to my reasons for trout fishing.

Trapper