Bass Turds River Sighting

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by gabe0430, Sep 9, 2013.

1. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

I heard about your run in. Nice fish. Oh thanks for inviting me out there. pfft

3. Noice slimer, thats a bigger one

4. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

5. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

The hump meat is the best part! Ha ha

Nick Clayton likes this.
  6. you havent seen a chum yet

7. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Chums are beautiful..... in their own way.

8. yah for the fight, aesthetically i think a turd after eating corn the night before looks more appealing

9. Nick Clayton

Ever caught a bright one? A fresh, salt caught chum with its stripes barely showing is a bad ass fish.

10. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Wow dude really.

11. i have not unfortunately, all mine been mid colored to nasty purple/green

12. Nick Clayton

Ya, they are definitely nasty when they get up into the rivers. Last year I got into a pod of smaller, 4-7lbish, bright fish in an estuary. Had a great couple hours catching those fiesty little buggers till they moved on.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  13. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Mmmmm chum salmon the other white meat.

14. GAT

GAT Active Member

Unfortunate moniker... I was hesitant about opening this thread :) . The reason chum look so ratty is that they... for some reason... wait until they are almost dead before they head in to spawn. I'm not sure why but when I caught this one, we found ourselves in the middle of a run of bright chum near the end of the season. Guess they didn't have time to hang around in the Ocean.

What they don't have in looks they make up in fight. ...at least the ones I've caught.

This one was as bright as any I've caught.

51879970.jpg

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  15. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nick,
    Chrome chums suck....;)
    When the estuaries are blown due to the creeks puking trees and mud, time to hit the river high water spots with the gear rod.
    This one isn't really very bright. :D
    downsized_1103121113.jpg

Blake Harmon and Nick Clayton like this.
  16. none of my chums have look like those,

17. GAT

GAT Active Member

You need to invest in Photoshop program... you can fix anything, even ratty salmon :D

Seriously, the majority of chum I catch are butt-ugly. That one was certainly not the norm.

18. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

They are called dog salmon for a reason

19. Nick Clayton

Yeah, chums suck. They are ugly, they stink, they don't taste very good, and they fight like a piece of driftwood. No reason for anyone to go fish for them. May as well just stay home.

Stonefish and Evan Burck like this.
  20. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Went to the nushagak river this year. Swung flies to a bazzilion chums. All chrome bright. It was hard to tell if they were Sokeye. You had to hold them in the light just right to tell for sure. The meet looked like a springer