BC Memorial Day Weekend Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JackJester, May 29, 2013.

1. JackJester

JackJester Member

We spent a long Memorial Day weekend up in BC. Got south of Merritt on Thurs afternoon to hit a favorite small special reg lake in the Kane Valley. Started putting the toons together and rigging the rods when I realized...doh!....I forgot the waders. Bone-headed move given I spent the entire week before re-rigging 4 reels with new lines and getting all the flys and toons in order. So, I headed into Merritt and found some cheap Nylon/PVC waders at Canadian Tire (the Walmart/Kmart/Fred Meyers of BC...only nicer). Back at the lake by 3:00 and not much of a hatch. Thunderstorms were brewing. Despite the lack of a hatch, we tied on my favorite chronomid pattern (size 12 black snowcone with red rib). After about 20 minutes the bobber went under and my wife Pam was into a nice one:

photo-48.JPG

I got one 10 minutes later, and then the thunder was rumbling loud, so we headed in just before it let loose. Continued up to Kamloops/Sun Peaks area for lodging.

Friday we woke to dry conditions so hit a small lake near Sun Peaks in the morning and got 5 each after a couple of hours, and then back to the resort for lunch. Again the chrono was the ticket but there was a good mayfly hatch, so in hindsight I should have switched to a nymph. Rain came down heavy in the afternoon so we stayed dry and focused on beverage consumption vs fishing. The fish we did catch were very colorful that morning:

photo-47.JPG

Saturday and Sunday we went to a different lake back towards Kamloops. Fishing was HOT. Got lots of 14-16" silver bullets with great aerobatics; the biggest being 18". Same black/red snowcone, but switched to a ruby throated leech just for variety. This was the typical fish:

photo-49.JPG

photo-45.JPG

Saw mama and baby on the way back (sorry about the crummy iphone pic):

photo-46.JPG

We got up north before the bridge collapse, but had to take the detour on the way back. Traffic was light on Monday on N I-5, but it was still 45 minutes to get around the detour on Riverside Dr. Must be hell for the locals since there is a Costco right at the detour. Border crossing at Sumas was 30 minutes as they were doing bomb checks on all cars using a big German Shepherd. All and all a good trip but not as many fish as normal....most likely due to the weather. I love BC and I can't wait for the next trip. Heading back in late June for a week west of Little Fort in the camper; hopefully we'll catch a Traveling Sedge hatch.

Jack

2. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Very nice report. I used to go up every memorial weekend. Good times

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Very nice. Love that area.

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

5. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Jack,
    A perfect report. Thank you !

6. Wilken

Wilken Member

Great Report. What kind of raft is your wife fishing from?

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

8. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

very nice! that dark fish in the net in the second pic is absolutely beautiful.