Bear spray

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Jun 14, 2013.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I don't own any. I want some. Last week I was way the hell and gone up an Idaho stream off of a dirt road fishing for cutthroat back in the boonies. I wasn't packin' and had no spray, I felt kinda naked.

Is there one brand that stands out or is more highly regarded than others and if so what is it? I'll be back in the wilderness in a couple of weeks and would like to have some along.

Ive

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You'll never know what spray doesn't work because whoever needed to spray a charging bear won't be here to make a post indicating how poorly the spray performed.

Steve Vaughn likes this.
  3. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
  4. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

I carry this as well. I've never had to use it but I have taken it out of the holster a few times. Black Bears in the Cascades have always run away at first sight. You may see some Browns in North Idaho. If you get it - keep it handy.

5. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

UDAP. Have used it twice on Griz. Worked like a champ. Refuse to carry any other brand even though others get good reviews like the Counter Assault.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Just take some honey along and rub it on who ever your fishing with and then run like hell.

I can't help myself.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I've,

I also carry the Counter Assault, but have yet to use it. So far yelling and loudly blowing a referee's style whistle has turned the bears around for me.

Sg

8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Care to share the details of the two encounters? Was the bear charging or just getting too close?

9. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    I have Counter Assault, but if Abomb has first hand (successful) experience with another product it is worth considering.

Steve

10. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

you know how to tell the difference between black bear and Grizz scat?

black bear is dark colored with fur and seeds

grizz scat is similar but is decorated with bells and smells like pepper

11. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I was way out in the wilds if SW Alaska last year with an outfitter who has over 30 years experience guiding. He carried a 12 gauge and each client had bear spray and a small boat horn (the aerosol kind). That horn was unbelievably loud and the two times he used it the bears couldn't get away fast enough. It was smaller than the bear spray we each carried.

12. FLGator

FLGator Member

Counter assault is the brand you want.

13. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Based on what? They are identical. Both are the one you want. Both are great products.
    Next thing you're gonna tell me is that Orvis makes the best rods.:)

Sage fan.

14. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

One was at night. Young male kept coming up our 6 and would not leave us alone. We were hiking into our bow hunting spot at 3am. Finally had enough and sprayed him at 30' or so. Man did that bear make a ruckus clearing out of there.

Second one was a female with cubs. Hiking into another drainage chasing Elk. Moving down a trail real fast when BAM, out of the brush a Sow with cubs plops onto the trail. She false charged twice to less than 40'. Third time she came hard, knew she meant business this time. Buddy was ready to shoot her with his 44mag, I sprayed her at 15', hoping she would bluff and back off. Better than having to dispatch her, always last resort. Her cubs could barely keep up with her as she departed.

Before the armchair QB's come out. I have lived and Hunted/Hiked in the most heavily bear infested areas in the lower 48 for most of my life, Taylor Fork, Upper Sunlight, Thoroughfare just to name a few and know how to move around in the woods with bears.

15. freestoneangler

Media:
    Good to hear. I think many (myself included) are a bit skeptical as to the effectiveness of sprays. I always wonder if the animal damn near needs to be on top of you to really use them... how far they reach, windy conditions, etc. Given that they have such an acute, sensitive olfactory gland, it probably does not take a concentrated amount to get them thinking we creatures stink and not want any part of us :eek:.

16. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I've often wondered why the spray companies don't offer a kit with the real can and a "practice" can that operates in the same way and goes the same distance but has inert stuff.

Steve Vaughn likes this.
  17. joellirot

joellirot Member

Used to live in AK. Never had to use the stuff despite one close encounter.

But, I did 'play' with it one time against racoons....it was a dangerous situation...

moral of the story is that whatever i had was useful to about 15 feet - with the wind at your back. and if the wind wasn't at your back - it got you as much a the bear.

whether or not that's useful is for the bears to decide.

unless the technology has changed a lot in the last few years - and maybe it has - it's worthwhile up to about 5-10 yards if you know what you're doing and are patient and calm and don't mind cleaning the shit outta your pants.

18. freestoneangler

Media:
    I agree... that would be useful. They should also make a handgun type holder for them... though as big as the canisters are, it would look like a 454 Casull :D

19. Theron

Theron Active Member

UDAP says they have an inert can available for practice

20. Mike Munro

Mike Munro Member

In a similar vein:

Two buddies are hiking in the woods when suddenly they come across a bear. One guy drops his backpack and takes out a pair of running shoes. His friend says to him "What are you doing? That's not going to help you out run the bear!" To which he replies "I don't have to out run the bear; I only have to out run you."

<rimshot>