beginner

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by baseballandfishing, Jul 16, 2002.

1. baseballandfishing New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    since it seems the rivers are in pretty good shape , where should i try to catch some trout. i am a beginner, i can cast pretty well i think but im having trouble catching a fish. could someone tell me about a spot where i could maybe get my first fish. i live in covington. thanks
  2. ray helaers New Member

The fishing can be pretty easy on the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie, for native cutthroat and a few rainbows, mostly kind of smallish, but very willing. There are a lot of guys on this board who seem to know the forks alot better than I do -- hopefully they'll weigh in here -- but the Middle Fork was the first place I fished in WA way back when. I wasn't much more than a beginner then myself (at flyfishing anyway), and I think I got 30-some that morning on dry caddis patterns (a few that I called 10-inchers, too).

C'mon you guys; throw this guy a bone.
  3. Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Mountlake Terrace, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    What I would do, if I were a beginner, or a guy who just wanted to C&R a bunch of trout, is hike into almost any lake around 3500-4000 feet. They are probably likely to be snow free with fish eager to bite almost anything edible.

Last weekend, I visited Leech Lake in White Pass, and the first hour of fishing was stupendous, it was brookies on a cast after cast basis, then nothing for the rest of the day, as the morning feed quit. I would suggest fishing either the fairly early morning, or the evening, right around dusk. The weekend before I fished Lake Dorothy, and in 45 minutes C&R'd about 6 fish, all cutts and brookies, while standing in one place at the outlet.

I always suggest lake fishing to beginners as the casting and line work are easier. The lowland lakes are warming up and may become unfishable for trout. Panfish poppers will work for bass and panfish, though. As to rivers, the Yak and the forks of the Snoqualme are the places to go, so you don't hassle the smolts.

Rob
  4. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    One more thing to add for begginers just looking to catch a few small fish. The forks of the snoqualmie come alive at around 8:30 til dark. Just watch the water in likely spots for rising fish(long deeper runs, pools, tailouts, riffles). If you aren't seeing the occasional rise, try a few casts, then move on. If they are there, you'll see them. I was just at the South Fork for the first time this year with my wife and kids. In 15 minutes I c&r'd 2 fish (one 11 inch beautifully spotted cutt), ldr'd 2 more, and had several missed strikes. 2 were on the surface, and the others were just below the surface or skating across. This was all with a royal wulff.

There was plenty of company on the river tonight too, which suprised me for a weekday, but I still did pretty well for just messing around. One guy and his son where spin fishing and doing OK. Was dissapointed to see the kid carry a dead trout for dinner. Wish they would make all the forks of this river C&R.

The south fork is in great shape, warm enough to 'wet wade', and lots of bug activity.

Also, the middle fork is finally looking good. I'll have to make my way to my favorite holes in a few days :)

-Chad
  5. Kringle New Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    If ya come up with the winning spot let me know. I'm just starting myself and I 've had a few nibbles but no fish yet. I was out on the upper Green tonite below the dam. The conditions were great(I think) and a good hatch was on I just wasn't putting it in the right place at the right time. I'm going to try the Snoqualmie next week. I'll let ya know how it goes. If ya get any sage advice from people let me know. Keep plugging away at it!! Kringle
  6. saltchuck New Member

seattle, washington, usa.
    Go early (before 8 would be good, 7 is better)! I took a beginner, my 12 year old daughter, to the middle fork two days ago for about 2 hours of thrashing the water. She landed 6 fish and missed many more. Size 14 yellow humpy saturated with floatant was the "ticket" but I'm sure most anything would have worked. Have fun.