Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beginning floats for new drift boat

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  wetline dave 
#1 ·
I've got a new drift boat. I've fished a number of local rivers (Skagit, Hoh, Yakima), but now I'm looking to row myself. Any suggestions on easy floats to get me started?

#2 ·
The Yakima Canyon is a very easy float. Once flows pick up a bit on the westside, the lower portions of the Stilly and Snoqualmie are also good bets. I actually learned how to navigate a drift boat on the Snoqualmie. There is only one rapid, but it's not much to worry about with decent flows.

#3 ·
Caution is always a concern when drifting. But with low water like this, it is extremely important. If the boat gets stuck in quick water, you could find everything flooded and you, your boat and gear floating off down the river. Or, worst case scenario, your boat and gear go floating off down the river.
Bob, the Gentle Drifter:thumb

G
#4 ·
If you don't mind a little driving, the Upper Deschutes from Wyeth to Bull Bend is very smooth. Heck, I'll even go with you and watch for hazards while casting to browns from the front of the boat. The Yakima is a little challenging right now and we bottomed out a few times Monday on the float above Red's.

#5 ·
When my buddy and I first got our drift boat, we hauled it over to St. Regis Montana and floated the Clark Fork for a weekend. This is perhaps the gentlest river around and will afford a good safe opportunity to familiarize yourself with the oars. It's about a 6 hour drive from Seattle. Clark Fork Trout and Tackle has a great shuttle program, and there are always interesting characters in the Talking Bird in the evening as you wet your whistle after a day on the water.

Calvin

#7 ·
Try the Skykomish between Sultan and Ben Howard. However, it might be a bit low right now. Best to go alone the first time- less weight, easier to learn to row. Someone else mentioned the lower Stilly, but the ramp at the forks is broken and unusable for drift boats (Unless you want to drag your boat over large boulders). I'm also unsure where a takeout would be. Wear a life preserver!

#8 ·
The Yakima in the canyon is easy. As the water drops (sometime next week?), it might get to the point where you will bang some rocks, but you should get used to that anyway. Also, you'l lget some practice maneuvering with pretty low consequences for mistakes.

The Skykomish between Sultan and Monroe is good too, though at these low flows you'll want to be careful about braids. Stop the boat, get out, and scout channel choices BEFORE you make them. Until you get more comfortable at the oars, avoid log jams, sweeps, and small channels tight to overhanging brush as much as you can. Even in low flows, where the river gets constrained into tight channels, the velocity can get pretty high. The consequences of getting hung up can get ugly quicker than you can react.

I would avoid the Yakima above Ringer (too many jams and sweeps), the Skykomish above Sultan (too many braids and chutes), the NF Stilly (a little tight generally) and the Sauk, particularly above Darrington (our toughest local river), until you've got some river miles under you and you feel more comfortable with the sticks.

Never be embarrassed or hesitant to get out of the boat and walk it over shallow, rocky spots, even to avoid chutes or channels than may be perfectly navigable but look tricky to you. You'll feel a lot less silly walking your boat down a riffle than you will with the boat upside down at the bottom of the river.

Don't go by yourself. Drift boats handle better with someone in the front, and that's the way you want to learn to handle the boat anyway, not to mention the obvious safety issues.

You'll be fine. Most of our fishing rivers are relatively mellow and forgiving, as long as you take your time and use good judgement in avoiding the dangerous areas and the situations above your skill level. The lucky part is that on our big rivers, there's usually plenty of room to get around.

#9 ·
That's some good advice Rae, especially about the person up front. Most guys don't realize that your boat handles different depending on the load it has in it. Why I have (or shall I said had) a variety of boats for all situations. Actually, if we had a bit more water, I'd suggest you floating the Satsop or the Wynoochee. Both are very easy rivers, and some good corners to test your skills on without worry of turning boat over. The Nooch only has one big flaw for the beginner, the spillway near my Dad's place (called the diversion dam or weir as well) just below the gravel bar launch. It's one you'll get warnings and is ALWAYS best to pull out and walk the boat around unless water is high and running over it OR you're in a whitewater boat and know how to run over them. But in each case, still beware. A few people have died there on easy floats. Only because they tried to run over it and tipped the boat over. They got caught in the hydraulic and never came back up.

Now that I scared you to death, don't worry, it's not that bad. When I did swiftwater rescue, the only people we normally had to go after were people who did MORE then their experience would allow. Take it easy, and take Rae's advice (which would've been mine nearly spot on). Stop and scout a blind corner or a run coming up (if you hear water in the distance boiling and rumbling, STOP and SCOUT!!!!!!!!!). Some chutes, once you commit, there's no turning back. Better to THINK you look a wuss for scouting then have people think you're a moron at your funeral for trying to be a macho man. I myself have scouted many runs, and I have more hours then most running whitewater. But, rivers change and you need to know where you're going. The channel you took one year may be the sweeper you need to avoid this year.

Reactions: ianpadron
#10 ·
As you pull into St. Regis, it's the first establishment that you see. It's all part of the truck stop/gas station/Jaspers combo. It's also the St. Regis Greyhound bus stop.

What we didn't realize until we'd been going there for a couple of years was that they actually have a talking bird on premises. By the time we got in there, it's cage was usually covered by a sheet.

Good for local flavor, and if you keep your ears open, you might actually get some good fishing advice.

Calvin

#11 ·
As you pull into St. Regis, it's the first establishment that you see. It's all part of the truck stop/gas station/Jaspers combo. It's also the St. Regis Greyhound bus stop.

What we didn't realize until we'd been going there for a couple of years was that they actually have a talking bird on premises. By the time we got in there, it's cage was usually covered by a sheet.

Good for local flavor, and if you keep your ears open, you might actually get some good fishing advice.

Calvin

#12 ·
SH69 is so fery right about scouting the river out and NEVER go around a corner blind. I severally damaged a McKenzie and we lost all our gear because we went around a corner blind. The day before it was clean but overnight a tree fell across the run. Be sure to throw in an extra set of oars and strap them in. That is the only thing we did right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.