being crude

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rob Allen, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

What brought this about?

3. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

4. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

I must be an odd duck, but I don't ever see "gear fishermen", "bait chuckers" or "fly fishermen" anymore...maybe because I check the box "all of the above."

So I guess I don't see much point in suggesting better behavior among any angling group, because all those groups are deeply heterogeneous. Now it is cool IMO if anglers in general can clean it up when kids are around, but I don't see many kids when I am fishing. Except for my own. And they already know I'm not fit for mixed company.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Only 42?? Hell's bells, kid: I don't remember being 42! Neither does Old Man Jim. We both have wrinkles older than that! The Old Guard eschews the use of foul language and lewd glances at the gentle sex because we can't remember what word to use, and sex... what the Sam Hill's that, anyway... and we don't drink slop, but enjoy a decent adult beverage from time to time. Nope, it's not us who descend to this level, it's the young pups trying to look like us:D

6. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Guys back to acting like boys when their significant others aren't around to keep them under control.

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Would have to agree Rob. The amount of foul language spewed about and lack of decorum these days keeps getting worse as the years roll on. What really amazes me is the language really young kids use...not a good thing IMO. I went down to the Skokomish with a buddy this past summer and I headed back to the truck in 20 minutes time... not enjoyable at all.

8. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I like being crude. I like scat, farts, piss, sex, and killing things; talking about it with other men who enjoy those same things has probably been done for fifty thousand years.

9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Meh.

One generation is always doing something the other generation doesn't care for. Blue jeans, bikinis, jazz music, or what have you.

I like crude jokes, sex, and beer. As far as I'm concerned, they are some of what make life worth living. More importantly, I know when to turn that stuff on and when to turn it off, a smart man knows his audience. And to be fair, a lot of us are like that. But out on the river, in the woods, or around the campfire has never been the type of place that a group of guys has had to tone it down.

Of course, there's having a good time and there's being an asshole. As with most of life, the assholes always ruin it for everyone else.

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Yeah, dwindling fish runs, less and less habitat, logging, overfishing, gear vs. fly, sport vs. commercial, tribal vs. everyone, land owners vs. the public, hair style trends, pollution, fish diseases...... By far the greatest threat to our great sport is 4 letter words and drunkness. :rolleyes:

11. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Ahhh schucks, return of the Puritans!!! If alcohol, poor language and sex are offensive, I can only hope you have your own little piece of utopia! Now I do believe in knowing your audience.

12. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

I respectfully disagree with you.

Go Sox,
    cds

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

I blame everything on Elvis and The Beatles......

Jason Rolfe, Lugan and Nick Clayton like this.
  14. rory

rory Go Outside

Please label these things NFR. Otherwise, we might read this stuff. Let's keep this forum positive. I like proper spelling, capitalization, and writing out whole words. Abbreviations like "IMO" is something that the kids these days are using, in my opinion.

Bill Aubrey and Old Man like this.
  15. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

Not flaming you, but flyfishermen in general (and particularly this forum) are really quite benign and self-restrained. Hardly a bastion of bad behavior.

As far as doing damage to the image of flyfishing....that one is particularly hard to fathom.

Son, I learned long ago that I was just one person, and that trying to coerce or shame others into complying with my idea of how they should behave is a waste of time...far better to absent oneself from such onerous company.

16. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Oh boy, here we go.

Jim Wallace and David Dalan like this.
  17. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Rob, are we talking Steelhead fishermen here? Because we all know that those of us who pursue the trout in its non anadromous form are all perfect gentlemen.

18. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

oh fuck...

whoops

19. Quickbeem

Quickbeem New Member

I second that
    Who were those guys?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

20. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Swearing doesn't bother me. I swear plenty. A rant on angler language would be better spent on new anglers butchering river names to make their own river-nick-names and talking about "ripping lips" and "steel faces."

Robert Easterday likes this.