being crude

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rob Allen, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,143 / 4

Rob stated an opinion. Correct, or incorrect has absolutely nothing to do with anything here.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    Oh, and BTW, I more then visited, I was LIVING there. I was immersed into their cultures. So yeah, I saw quite a bit of their lifestyles.
  3. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +371 / 0
    I think this thread could use a trip to the recycle bin. I hate being proved right.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    only point proven thus far is that we all see the world a little differently.
  5. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    This is a flyfishing forum. It does not demand anything from you other than you're opinion. My opinion is that crude, rude or vulgar language adds nothing, in fact it makes you seem ignorant. I'll leave it at that.
  6. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    I cuss too much, just ask my wife, and she's right. I had to dig down deep to understand why I cuss. For me it's because I get all fired up and can't think of all the proper words to articulate what I'm thinking/feeling. So I revert to my younger and wilder days and throw out a fuck or two for no good reason. In reality it does little to get my point across in a constructive way and folks come away thinking I'm a crass person. And sometimes I am...for that I apologize. I'm trying to do better.

So how's it working for you?
    smc and Ed Call like this.
  7. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +565 / 0
    I love all you guys. :eek:
  8. Nick Clayton Active Member

Anyone who doesn't respond in the next 5 seconds agrees with me.
  9. Nick Clayton Active Member

Sweet. Thanks for proving my point!
    Lugan likes this.
  10. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    Well we can't ALL have proven your point since there are a couple dozen points of view here. Some agreeing with you, some disagreeing with you, and some coming from an entirely different direction.

Evan has the right of it. The only thing you proved was that none of us are exactly the same. Thank god/allah/buddah/superman for that.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  11. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +660 / 5
    I'm thinking this was just a pot stirring post. So his point was proven that the pot would be stirred if he posted this up. Hmmmmmmm. I think I have moderating duties to do on a few folks on this thread. ;)
  12. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +601 / 0
    Ya know...this thread has really given me pause to reflect on my use of swear words....I'm clearly not using them often enough. I'll work on it. Thank you for the encouragement! I'm done here.
    Gary Knowels likes this.
  13. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
  14. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +425 / 1
    cant believe i just read through this. i hear less whining from my moms daycare kids.
  15. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +440 / 0
    I suppose my point was mostly that for communication to happen the signs and symbols used have to have similar meanings between the communicating parties. Whether it's a group of guys fishing or someone slinging insults it's all based on a mutual understanding of the signs and symbols. Really, it's probably a stupid point I'm trying to make (and my point has nothing to do with the intent of the thread) but that's never stopped me before.
  16. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    So Jerry, I was born in South Africa (Durban) and have lived with many cultures. But none of this has anything to do with civility or fly fishing. The POT here is perspective. Does vulgarity contribute in any way to flyfishing? I don't think so. Use your words carefully and make them mean something. Words in this thread are worse than any I've ever heard because they are trying to justify rudeness.
  17. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +297 / 0
    Underachiever made a very good point.
    We all should recognize a level of morality.
    Since this is the internet with no direct contact.... let the language continue! If a persons filter is sensitive to typed words.. their life must be a constant battle.
    In public oral settings, gross vulgarity is mostly restricted to the inept, drunk or juvenile. Adults don't cuss too often in front of ladies or kids and when they do, they usually correct themselves when asked. Freedom of speech has landed many men on their asses with a bloody lip.... (freedom isn't free)

For ME- Using vulgarity or cussing etc with friends in certain situations clarifies the severity of the situation or discussion.

If a man doesn't like the language and is not able to change the language, he sould remove himself from the location. In most cases if a man is blatantly cussing in front of a lady or kids, (he is not much of a man) and will shutdown before the forementioned beatdown.

This thread reminds me again that the pursuit of happiness comes from within.....

Gob Bless America and George Carlan's 7 words.
  18. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +766 / 2
    That's actually true of most European languages. They tend to use very creative and visually descriptive terms as insults, descriptions of he opposite sex, etc. But Americans lack that creativity and fall back to f-bombs: "F--- you a--hole!"..."Dude, she's F---in' hot!" Etc.
  19. kamishak steve Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    Thank goodness you have the freedom to use as little vulgarity as you see fit.

I can see why you might assume that use of vulgarity might make a person seem uneducated in your eyes.
    However, I can assure you that assuming that someone is ignorant based on a few f words they toss into their statements is the true ignorance. If I had underestimated the opinions of others (or assumed they were ignorant) because of their occasional use of foul language, I might have missed out on knowledge from some of the wisest people I've ever known.
  20. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    As I said 7 pages ago: "Meh."

It doesn't take vulgarity to be rude and vulgarity doesn't automatically mean rudeness. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Which is more rude:

"We don't serve your kind here."

or

"Holy shit, look who's here! I love this guy! How the hell are you bro?"