being crude

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Rob Allen, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4

+1000
  2. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    i dont feel this site is a place to swear. do it at home or somewhere private. i have visited this site much less in the last year other than the classified partially because of it. i do swear but you will never hear me. thanks, mike w
  3. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +600 / 0
  4. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    This has gone way past what Rob originally mentioned. I think Rob is correct! We don't need to use foul language, if we choose too it's our choice and it does say something about us. If vulgar language is your trip go for it but I'll always consider you someone to ignore.
  5. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4

Ignoring everyone who ever uses a curse word is certainly your right. Be prepared to live in a pretty lonely world if that's the route you choose.
    Josh likes this.
  6. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +362 / 0
    huhuh.... ROD. Grip the ROD.... huhuhuh..... casting STROKE..... huhuhuh..... STRIP the line huhuhuh... Lift the TIP.... huhuhuh
    Lugan and Gary Knowels like this.
  7. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +140 / 0
    Truth is most fellow flyfishers would not be interested in this thread. It's like "can we be assholes" and get away with it.
  8. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    This shitty thread turned out to be a good read. It's fucking Hilarius!
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  9. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    What kind of music do you all listen to? I hope I like it, because, if I don't we'll have to have a serious discussion here!!! ;)
  10. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +497 / 2
    I don't listen to music. You do know that Hitler liked music, don't you?
  11. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Who are you to dictate what a civil society does? Do you live in a civil society? Do people use vulgarity there?
    Perhaps a civil society doesn't use drugs, alcohol, or nicotine either? Perhaps it's not civil to gamble? Perhaps it's not civil to hook fish in the lip for sport?
  12. Siskiyoublues Member

United States
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I was fishing with a mentor and good friend who is a decade and a half or so older then me this past weekend.
    I've never seen him lose his cool on the river, he's a great guide and teacher and has a ton of patience.
    He's got no problem rolling his eyes at my outbursts and sometimes I even feel guilty over it. I'll be more "adult" next time.
    Anyway, this past weekend my friend farmed a monster mint coastal chrome steelhead,
    fish of the year, fish of a lifetime for some and he just flipped and lost it.
    Stomping on his hat, kicking and stomping and the most endless stream of profanity I've ever heard in my life.
    I had to slink off back to my spot in case he decided it was my fault for not finding a way to land the fish from a hundred yards downstream. I could see the scenario brewing.

Anyway, point is, I was totally thrilled. Skunked and gloating. "Human factor buddy, you'll get him next time" as I muster up the stones to walk back up the run.
    After all, what are friends for?

I've never been as interested in the mindless stupidity and choose my friends accordingly. With the exception of having to occasionally take a second choice fishing spot or pack out some extra left behind garbage, I try not to let any group affect the outcome of my day dramatically.
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Whoa, what a long thread. Too much air stagnation for heavens sake.

Society calibrates itself over time. Now the trend may be more crude. Tomorrow more pristine. Bottom line, we all can contribute, or not, to its calibration to our preferences.

We are a diverse community, country, world. Embrace it. Getting your feelings hurt because of open conversation in no way directed at you is, in my opinion, overly sensitive. Now you direct it at one person, different story to me.

I believe in civility. I believe in my choices. Feel free to make yours.

This year I'm fishing and drinking with Roper and I'm gonna hope to hear him drop some F bombs. Why? Because he is a calming and grounded presence and if he can let a few fly from time to time that's f'ing okay by me.
    Krusty and Jerry Daschofsky like this.
  14. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,657 / 0
    Now you all know why I like to fish alone. I can do anything I want to by my lonesome. I can cuss, fart, belch out loud, scratch my ass, rub my balls. Drink my whiskey, beer or whine. And I can have fun while I'm doing all that.

And I do like to cuss because I'm an old man and this is what old men do.
    Josh and Brady Burmeister like this.
  15. William Wallace Active Member

Chesterton IN
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    Scotish Bagpipes, come on with a name like mine what else would I listen to? Hawaian music, well oh ya that to, my mom taught it for many years in Burien and out of the house growing up.

So if ya ever here bag pipes get out of the way FREEDOMMMMMM is coming

William
    Richard Torres and Jim Wallace like this.
  16. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    I find an irony in that those of us in this thread ignorant enough to use vulgar language also seem to be the ones with the best grasp on spelling, grammar and punctuation.
  17. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Come to think of it Steve, so do I! Ahhhh... Kids these days:D
  18. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    "The idea that no gentleman ever swears is all wrong. He can swear and still be a gentleman if he does it in a nice and benevolent and affectionate way." - Mark Twain
  19. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    I also find people who use foul language, to be in general, more trust worthy. They're not putting on a front to impress, they are who they are. Generally speaking that is.
  20. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Wow, Sounds like I better practice up on my swearing! Other than that I'm
    not touching this one with a 10' "pole" of which I have several.