Best Fast-Action Rod under 200.00?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Peter Pancho, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Hello fellas! I just need some help finding the BEST fast-action rod under 200.00 for my wife. She tried out my 10'7w GLX and loved it, now she wants a fast rod but knowhere near the price of a GLX. I already decided on a Tioga 8w LA reel, now searching for the BEST fast rod for under 200.00 or so. I haven't been able to find any around, need help! Thanks!

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19
  2. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    The St Croix Avid is right at 200 with a Mod/Fast action in an 8 wt. If you stick with Loomis, the Gl2's are at 200, but are med action rods. For good fast rods around 200, you'll have to wait for them to come up on ebay. I am currently searching for a fast sage xp or rplxi, but they always seem to break 350 and I bail. I've thought about driving up to Canada for some fly fishing stuff. With the exchange rate, a couple like my wife and I, could make a killing. But you're lucky, my wife wont fish.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell
  3. Big Ben Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Avid would have to be my first choice at that price break but make sure your wife can grip the St Croix handle. It fits a big man's hand perfectly while it is usually too big for small hands. G Loomis handles run small and are my wife's first choice. You can pick up GL3's on Ebay for around $200. I got a 5wt travel GL3 for $175. Sage also has the DSII in an 8wt and it fits your price.:thumb
  4. mike58 New Member

lynnwood, wa.
    sky,
    if you can wait a bit, take her to the FF show this month, you can probably get a good deal there.
  5. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Never thought about the GL3's or Avids, never casted them but I'll keep a look out on Ebay. I'm also keeping a lookout for Croix's fast action Legend Ultras.
    I(we) planned to go to the FF Show 2 mos ago and I requested the day off long ago, missed the Outdoorsman show though, but will hit that again this month in Seattle, looking for a drift boat.

Thanks guys! Peter ><>

6. mtlhead Member

Concrete, WA, USA
    if I were you, I'd build or have built a Rainshadow RX8. they are pretty sweet, and if the componants are chosen wisely, you could do it for $200. I can get you a deal on either the blank, or the build, just drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.
    :smokin
  7. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    Great option

I'd jump on this like fleas on a dog, mtlhead makes some sweeet rods!

Roper,

Truth above all
  8. Crump Member

Grants Pass, OR
    I have a buddy that has an 8wt diamondback for sale. Its custom wrapped, and in perfect condition and I think he would be happy with 200 for it. I will get some pictures if you are interested.
    -crump:thumb
  9. Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Western WA, US.
    Have you looked at or considered any of the Cabela's line? They have a fast action for just over 200. I have never cast that one, but I have one of the cheaper models in a 3pc 3wt and I LOVE that rod. I was skeptical at first of Cabela's brand rods, but I wasnt sure if I would like the light line. I bought a cheap-o and I have really come to like that rod. Its in the price range though. Just another thought.

I keep hearing all this about the Rainshadow blanks, I am half tempted to see what all the hype is all about. Best of Luck. Building a rod though is always a money saving bet. I couldnt fish with a Sage any other way, thank god for rod building.
  10. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Great option

Another satisfied customer of mtlhead's here. Saved a bundle on a sweet 6wt.
  11. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Thanks alot guys for all your replys which I will keep in mind upon the next few weeks.
    Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

Peter ><>

12. Surf_Candy Member

Bainbridge Island, WA.
    I like the 5 piece Redington Wayfarer's (5,8 and 10Wt)

have not tried the temple fork, but hear good things.

If you are getting a new rod, consider portability as well...

Jim W
  13. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ok guys now its down to 2 rods, a Legend Ultra 7w and a GLoomis GL3 7w. Which of the two would be a better caster for big Steelhead flies? Thank again!

Peter ><>

14. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    Buy the more expensive one. It's like Oldman says when we go fishing, "Why buy food and something to drink at Safeway when I can pay a lot more at this Texaco?"

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell
  15. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    They are both used but in mint/new condition, and can get either of them for the same price. Just trying to weight the pros and cons. Its hard to decide due to never casting either of them. I have a 5w in the Ultra but never casted the GL3. This is somewhat a hard decision.
    Thanks..

Peter ><>

16. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Are those the same Rainshadow blanks manufactured in Sequim? When I was up at my folks' place in Sequim at Christmas and rummaging thru some Sequim gazettes, I read an article about Cascade Composites and Batson Enterprises. Kind of interesting. It can be dug up by going to www.sequimgazette.com and entering <Batson_Enterprises> into the search engine at the top of the menu on the left of the screen. Use "search archives" as the search engine and you come up with an article by Betty Oppenheimer titled "Fishing Fan Reels in Success with New Facility." - Jimbo
  17. mtlhead Member

Concrete, WA, USA
    why not just mosey on down to where the rods are and throw a line on each of them? if you are going to be throwing bushy, wind resistant fly's, it should be a no brainer after a half dozen casts with each. keep in mind what type of line you plan on using. I'm going to take a guess and predict the future, although I have never cast these particular wt's in either of these rods side by side, I would dare to bet the Loomis is going to be a tad stiffer/faster. I am sure that you will be equally pleased with the quality of both, but St. Croix has the customer service hands down, IMHO.
    :smokin