Best fly fishing android apps

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ryan Bradfield, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Ryan Bradfield Member

Ratings: +13 / 0
    Got my new galaxy s4 today..am a newbie to smartphones and i see there are hundreds of fly fishing apps out there.
    Any recommendations?
  2. Mike Garritson Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Grog's knots is always a good one and the Orvis app is good, but they both cost money. I got a free knot app simply called "fishing knots"...pic of a hook on a green background, that's okay. Didn't find much else worth downloading.
  3. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    USTides and Weather.com if you fish the salt.
  4. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Fishhound is great and its free. I don't have any paid apps so can't speak on those but fish hound has a index of flies based on what you are fishing for plus you can get reports on water but those are not the best as there are not enough ppl posting them for the bodys of water I fish.
  5. Steve Unwin Active Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Tapatalk is a useful tool for reading this forum!
  6. CLO Royal Wulff Pack

PT/EDMNDS/TWSP
    Ratings: +425 / 0
    USGS river flows!!!
  7. DoSer I smell Cheese

Errg... Denver
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I'm a big fan of the FishHead app, about $6, it includes weather, tides, and river flows.
  8. Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Does it do that for all rivers?
  9. DoSer I smell Cheese

Errg... Denver
    I think it will do any USGS recorded river, and tide. It gets the weather updates from Weather Underground.
  10. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0

Are you using it on android or ios? Checked it out but got very bad reviews on android.
  11. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +419 / 0
    Check out Jim speakers trip report app, its sweet

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G
  12. DoSer I smell Cheese

Errg... Denver
    I am using it on android 4.1.2 and it has worked well. No crashes or hangs. I have had issues with it pulling info from a few specific tide stations, but other then that it has been great.

Edit: By issues, I mean it throws an error message when it can not contact a tide station. I have had this last for a day at the longest, I think its more on connectivity to the station and not the app.
  13. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +154 / 8
    Hey not to high-jack, but my tap talk isn't working on WFF and it says it is
    an admin problem... Is it just me again?
  14. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    I was having troubles with tap a talk too. It wouldn't update the forums for weeks. I finally deleted it and reinstalled it and it's working fine again. Your mileage may vary.
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  15. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    Go to your settings and clear your cache. That usually fixes it for me. The admin error is just a message stating that WFF isn't compatible and you are the forum administrator (you aren't) that it should be updated to remain compatible. However I remember someone saying that eventually tapatalk will no longer work.
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  16. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +154 / 8
    Thanks Stewart. That worked. I still got a message saying API is outdated and needs to be updated by admin, but at least it is working again.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free
  17. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +105 / 0

I downloaded and it works very well. Great app!
  18. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +359 / 0
    Yeah, turn it off and go fishing.
    Oh never mind, it's just a generational thing (mine). Don't take it personally - please.

BTW I'm sure there's a story behind that exotic Kingfisher in your avatar. Care to share where, what, when?