Best time of Year for Adult insect diversity

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Gary Knowels, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    I was wondering what the best time of the year might be for adult insect diversity on the Yakima river. Are there any times of year that you guys find especially interesting? I ask this from a bug standpoint only, not from a fishing point of view.

2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Gary-

That is an interesting question, and one that I have never before attempted to answer. So, I quantified it by use of the westfly.com emergence information for the Yakima River, which in my opinion is the most comprehensive emergence data available for the Yakima River. It lists the date range (by half months) for the following (24) insects (by common name) which are available to trout on the Yakima River, either as emergers, duns, spinners, or by virtue of falling into, or being blown into the water:

Ant
    Beetle
    Bluewinged Olive
    Brown Drake
    Brown Dun
    Golden Stone
    Grannom
    Green Caddis
    Green Drake
    Hopper
    Little Brown Stone
    Mahogany Dun
    March Brown
    Midge
    October Caddis
    Pale Evening Dun
    Pale Morning Dun
    Saddlecase Caddis
    Salmonfly
    Shortwing Stone
    Skwala
    Spotted Caddis
    Yellow Quill
    Yellow Sally

Based on my analysis of that data, and the following chart which I have produced from it, the answer to your question appears to be the 1st half of June, when a peak of (14) appear:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Jeff Dodd and Irafly like this.
  3. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    Thanks Roger! That is great information. I lead streamside field trips for freshman biology students at UW. We look for adult insects as well as turning over rocks and dipnetting to find nymphs in the water. Students work to classify insects by order and sketch some examples. Most of the students have seen very few insects and find the trip fascinating. This will be very helpful for timing field trips.