Beware 2: Big SRC in MA9

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by mtskibum16, Sep 14, 2013.

1. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

I think that is either a buffalo or great sculpin. See them a lot diving. Cool catch!

2. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

It was a strong fish to be sure. I've hooked in to hotter ones when they're staging, but this guy could have been a bit worn out by the encounter with whatever caused his wound as it looked pretty fresh.

3. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Excellent catch!
    I really want to get a nice bright chum this year. Last couple years I fished a few times for them around some creekmouths and hooked a few zombies. It would be nice to get one in the open water where they have room to run. This gives me hope that I can get a salmon grand slam this year. Then maybe I'll start fishing the beaches above seattle early next year to see If I can get another rare catch, sockeye on the fly

4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I still need to get the elusive pink salmon! ha

5. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

mtskibum -
    Congrats on an unique catch!

As you suggest we are on the timing cusp between summer and fall Puget Sound chums so it would impossible to say for sure which it was. However giving it had started to form "bars" I would lean towards a summer fish (supported by the requirement to release chums this time of year - the regulation is in place for summer chum protection).

While sea-runs are a great fish (and one of my favorites) part of the fun of chasing them is the by-catch of some interesting fish we sometimes stumble into.

BTW -
    Jason's "cabezon" is likely a very large Pacific staghorn sculpin. See the bars on the pectoral fins and the dark botch on the first dorsal fin both characteristic of the staghorn.

Curt

6. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Hey Curt,

Question on that: I was wondering if maybe it was a large staghorn, but it didn't have the little "horns" that I thought were the telling characteristic of that. Greg, who I was fishing with, felt pretty certain it was a cabezon. I honestly couldn't say for sure.

J

7. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Jason -
    I can tell you with certainty is not a cabezon. The coloration is all off for a cabezon. The first dorsal fin of a cabezon has a small secondary notch that your fish does not have and most importantly cabezon have large bush cirrus (feathery appendage) above each nostril which are clearly lacking in your fish.

The buffalo sculpin has well defined bony plates along its lateral line as well as smallish close set eyes; so your fish was not likely buffalo sculpin. Ganglyangler may be right it could be either a great or staghorn sculpin; it is hard to tell given the curved position in the photo but again I'm leaning towards staghorn.

Curt

8. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Well thanks for clearing that up (somewhat) Curt. Was an interesting fish, regardless.

9. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Could have sworn it was an Atlantic Salmon.

10. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Dug up a couple pics of some large sculpins from the north sound area. I believe these to be great sculpins as far as I can tell but we have an awful lot of different sculpin species. Most dives have me scrambling for an i.d. book to try to figure out what the heck I just saw. Curt knows far more about these than most and is almost certainly correct that it is a staghorn that you caught. These great sculpin (if thats what they are) seem to have a much scalier look and more mottled appearance than the fish you caught. For reference these were fairly large, in the 14-16" range and were in about 5' of water on a small rockpile. Amazing diversity of fish in our backyard, gotta love it! Favorite of mine is a small one called a Fluffy Sculpin and they are bright seahawk green color.

Attached Files:

plaegreid likes this.
  11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

This thread is about cutthroat not sculpins OR Atlantic Salmon! :cool:

ganglyangler likes this.
  12. Eric B

Eric B Montana hillbilly

You've been hijacked! I however am still thoroughly motivated by your Chum experience & hope to get some time to search out some of them this fall.

ten80 likes this.
  13. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Enjoying the irony from over here btw:)