Big hole in waders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by golfman44, Jan 18, 2014.

1. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Incense provide better mojo, lay off the candles...

As Ed said make sure to cover both sides, but focus interior first

2. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I have old neo waders lounging in the garage just for that purpose -- patch material. I can send you a piece if you want it (pays to be a packrat, lol.).

3. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Duct tape will fix anything...... Anything!

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Never heard of them... good to know since just about every damn thing most of us own these days is GoreTex or like material.

Patrick Allen likes this.
  5. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

The fabric stores sell goretex repair patches

6. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Simms sells a repair kit with the adhesive you need and a couple of large pieces of breathable repair material. I think one side would be enough. Use your scissors and carefully cut out the damaged material so you have nice clean undamaged surfaces to glue. Clean with a little rubbing alcohol and let dry. Glue both surfaces and put wax paper on the surfaces and weight them with a stack of books.
    My advice don't try a temporary fix. Do it right the first time, because all the temporary glue, etc will just make it harder when you fix them right.
    jesse

Ed Call likes this.
  7. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Thanks for this. I looked at that simms kit and it had awful reviews so I shyed away from it.

8. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Awful reviews??? It is breathable fabric and Aqua seal how difficult is it. Just make sure you get the technique right. I have done it several times. I am tough on waders.
    jesse

9. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Yea it had 1 star out of 5 with a good # of votes with most comments being about the kit being designed for pinhole leaks, not a big hole like what I have.

I went with using those stickers on each side and in a few minutes ill aquaseal the final patch on the outside. Ill post pics when done

10. What ever happened to the old burn on patches? or would they melt the new materials?

11. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Quick update: Pretty sure they are fixed...testing them out tomorrow and we will know for sure. Hopefully this post can help someone else in the future who is dumb enough to do what I did. Thanks for the help bro chachos, saved me $150

Step 1) Turned them inside out, cleaned the area w/ rubbing alcohol, and put on one of those patch stickers from the Orvis repair kit. Aquasealed the edge of the sticker and let it sit for 8 hours.

IMG_20140119_204503.jpg

Step 2: flip them and put a sticker on the outside, just as before, and aquaseal it.

IMG_20140120_063028.jpg

Step 3: Put a patch over the outside sticker to add durability. Cut this from a pair of $30 clip-on boot waders. Aquasealed the bottom of the patch to act like a glue, then aquasealed the edges.

IMG_20140120_105404.jpg

Basically now there are 3 layers of waterproofed material instead of a hole, and the outermost layer is a durable wader material mainly to protect the stickers/inside patches. Sure its ugly but the last thing I care about is how I look when fishing. Also this was easy as hell, popping a hole in your waders is not nearly as bad as I thought it was originally.

12. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

just try and find a guy to fish with you in those things......hideous at best. ;)

Willing to bet Bassturds wouldnt even take your calls.

13. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

i will golf with ya thou..... in a foursome. ;)

14. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Bass turds will take my booty calls no matter what I'm wearing.

the waders look like this now: uploadfromtaptalk1390282948752.jpg

Looks like I was shot

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Looks good.

16. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

That looks like a fine repair,now if you can quit playing with candles everything will be okay.... In all reality thats nothin compared to the wader mishap I had. once while wearing a pair of neoprene waders I bent down in my drift boat to fool with some gear only to realize my mister heater was still on , I ended up with 6 inch perfect circle burn out of the ass of my waders& a burning rubber smell that was ungodly. so all & all you got off easy !!!!

golfman44 likes this.
  17. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Well...I guess we know what burns your ass.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  18. gives me an extra hole for attack if you knaw what im saying

golfman44 likes this.