Blank suggestions?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Pat Lat, May 31, 2013.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

still in the preliminary part of my research, I'm going to be scouting around for a fast 9'6-10' 4weight blank for a first build. I will use it for single hand spey in tight quarters and for searuns in low wind conditions. I will be lining it with royal wulff ambush line and puting it together saltwater components and a fighting butt.
    Anyone have a nice blank lying around that could use a new home, or know where I can get a decent one for under $200
    Thanks for your input guys.

2. FLGator

FLGator Member

Dan Craft Enterprises. Give Dan a call to discuss your needs. Great blanks!

3. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Guys on the rod building forum like quickline blanks in that configuration and they're about $75

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

4. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

either of the above are great suggestions. Dan at dancraft is a wealth of knowledge and probably has what you are looking for. But I have been intrigued by the pacbay quickline rods and they are getting good reviews.

5. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Member

I love the Quickline series of blanks. I have not built the 10' 4 wt,but have built quite a few of the 5 & 6 wt for fishing out of float tubes and pontoon boats. They are straight,light and nicely finished. If a customer doesn't have a specific brand they want, I usually go with the Quicklines.

6. LD

LD Active Member

For your first build you may want to get a cheap kit and build one first. Find a kid or organization to donate it to or use as a backup. Then build a better rod on a nice blank. It takes a few for most of us to get hang of building.

7. LD

LD Active Member

Did you ever build the quickline 10' 4wt? thinking of giving it a try?

8. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

in the process of getting an allen blank.

Gary Knowels likes this.
  9. John Wallace

John Wallace Active Member

Check out Allen fly fishing. If you call or e-mail him, he may sell a blank to you. I love the 10' 4 or 3wt.