WTB Bonefish Setup

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Jslo, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Jslo Active Member

Ratings: +80 / 0
    I'm looking for probably 7 or 8 or 9 wt setup..fast rod that can punch through the wind and distance for the flats in the bahamas. I have heard depending on the wind I might be able to get away with a fast 6wt...open to various brands, but love to get my hands on a Scott S4s or higher end Sage RPLXi? Or? Trying not to break the bank but will pay for value...cheers
  2. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    The Scott S4s is a great rod. I second that choice.
  3. tabornatives Member

WRJ, Vermont
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  4. Snookdaddy Member

Lakeland, Florida
    Ratings: +1 / 2
    Don't overlook a used Scott STS either.. I have them in 8,9,10 and 2) 11wts. and they are the bomb... I actually prefer them to the newer S4S... Also, Temple Forks BVK series are well suited for bonefish and at $249 are a bargain...
  5. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Better get at least an 8wt....A good friend ran a lodge in the Bahamas. The weight of choice was a 9wt, especially in the wind. That's my two-bits.
  6. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +756 / 0
    I find a 7wt is the ideal bonefish setup, especially when wading and stalking, fished for bones from Belize to Andros to Mexico. A 9wt is awfully large, that's my general permit stick.

The RPLXi is an older rod and fairly moderate by today's standards, hardly fast. I would look at getting the recently discontinued Redington CPX series, great value, fast and light.

An 8wt is certainly the most used setup for bones, great for boat fishing too, but again, I use a 7 and even a 6 if I can get away with it. Your reel is more important than your stick assuming you can cast in the first place. No rod can "punch" into the wind, it's all about technique, though fast rods have their advantages for certain. Where you headed? Also, depending upon the when and where, assume it will always be windy, it usually is!

$.02

Dan
    Anil and SPNYFISH like this.
  7. SPNYFISH Member

Upstate NY
    Ratings: +10 / 3
    Well put former guide. I have fished bones all over the world too and never needed anything more than a fast action 7wt. Unless your fishing in Hawaii or the Fla. keys, your shots shouldn't come more than 50ft away. Especially in the Bahamas. if you are relatively new to flats bone fishing, your guide will take you to the flats with schools of smaller bones that are more willing to eat. The big bones that you would need a 9 wt for are in the deeper water, but unless, you have caught a lot of bones and are looking for a "trophy". You won't need a heavier rod than a 7. Also like former guide said, your reel needs to be top shelf unless you wanna pick up the burned out drag from the turtle grass at your feet. My .02.
    formerguide and Jslo like this.
  8. Jslo Active Member

Ratings: +80 / 0
    Great advice, I'm headed for Eleuthera.
  9. tabornatives Member

WRJ, Vermont
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Scott Heliply 8'8" 8wt
    [IMG]
  10. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    "I use a 7 and even a 6 if I can get away with it" You said it all in that phrase.
  11. Billfish44 New Member

Lake Forest Park, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Are you still looking for a rod? I have a nearly-new 8 wt. Sage Xi2 - make me an offer. If you're looking for a reel, check out the new Hardy Ultralight. I just used one for bonefish, and really liked it - reasonable price, very fast pickup, and good drag.
    Bill
  12. Adrian Active Member

Ratings: +51 / 0
    I second the Hardy Ultralite recommendation. I use a 7000 on my 6wt. Ultra large arbor design, the 7000 is used for 7wt, 8wt and 9wt as specified from the factory. I use it on my 6wt because the larger arbor only adds another 0.14 oz to the weight above the 6000 model. Make sure to get a the Ultralite DD. worried about the 5-year warranty...buy it from Backcountry.com for the lifetime warranty. If you go this route, I have a spare spool for the 7000, brand new in the box for a GREAT price.