Brookie stream?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Woollyworm, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Woollyworm

Woollyworm New Member

I noticed the post on "what's the biggest brook trout you've caught in Washington." I haven't caught a brookie since I moved here. Does anyone know of a nice creek where I might be able to find them?

Cheers!

2. chironocast

chironocast New Member

Yes I know of some in several streams.
    But if I told you...well, you know.
    I will give you hints.
    1. Go east of the cascade crest.
    2. Don't go real far past the cascade crest.
    3. Some of these streams have beaver dam areas in meadows
    and thickets that are teaming with brookies.
    4. None of these streams are exclusively brookies
    brookies make up for about 30-55% of catch.
    Rainbows & cutts and cuttbow crosses make up the rest.
    All these fish can now be considered "wild"
    5. These fish are gorgeous and voracious feeders and I've had them take my fly before it even hit the water!
    6.You MUST hike to get to all these places.
    7 These streams are about 10-20' across.
    8. The water is bone chillingly cold, even in summer
    9. They are not picky eaters.
    10. I have never seen ANYONE else fishing these streams or evidence thereof.
    11. I took my two young sons there for their first flyfish experience and it was the best thing. You basically catch or lose a fish every time your fly touches the water.
    Part of me wants to share these places with the public, especially flyfisher types......so that they might be appreciated and protected
    Another part of me is scared to death for it to "get out" that these places represent the best small stream fishing there is and have them
    become too pressured. These fish get about 3 months per year to really thrive. The rest of the timr these streams are buried under 6-20' of snow and ice. Here is another very odd thing: all these little streams flow into bigger streams and the bigger streams dont fish well at all. You can work down the small streams almost to its mouth and then....nothing. I dont understand that. But with all these feeder streams chock-full of fish, you'd think that would equivicate good fishing in the receiving stream..not so. These fish seem to remain ONLY in the feeder stream...opinions why please.

3. pluto

pluto New Member

Canyon creek which is a tributary of the North Fork of the Nooksack just past Glacier has lots of small brookies. The road has been washed out for a few years so maybe some of them are getting a little bigger. There are some beaver ponds on the North Fork itself that you get to by taking the first right after the bridge that heads up to the ski area into a campground and driving back a half mile or so that also have brookies. Not a creek though.

4. emasterj20

emasterj20 New Member

I second chironocast's post. I too have had the same experiences in what sounds like the same territory. You won't be able to reach these places(that I have been to) until late June/early July. In addition to the hints given above I will narrow your search(ha,ha...):

1) My experiences have been between Highway 2 and I-90.

2) Look for lakes with feeder streams or outlet streams.

3) Bushwack!

Good Luck!!!

5. chironocast

chironocast New Member

Emaster you rascal

Emaster, I have the sneaking suspicion you know approximately, if not exactly,where I'm talking about. Funny thing is though, there are so many of these streams that we probably share some of the same-but not all common areas. There is something great about fishing these small streams heh emaster? You are tickled if you get a fish over 12"
    but in those little waters that baby feels like a lunker!
    Not only that, But no matter what species you catch they are all brilliantly colored and healthy. I can fish several miles
    of these streams and never get tired of it. Plus, you can do it all over again after giving each hole a rest.

6. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Your killing me with curiosity. How about a little more info. I catch and release and fish the weekdays so it is unlikely we will ever run into each other unless you have those days off as well. I would love not to have drive 2hrs or more for small stream fishing.
    Randy

7. emasterj20

emasterj20 New Member

Emaster you rascal

Amen. You hit it right on.

8. wa_flyfisher

wa_flyfisher New Member

Most of the lakes you hike to in the Olympics harbour a healthy population of E. Brookies. I have seen rises on some lakes that resembled a light rain.

9. see trout

see trout New Member

The S.Fork of the Snoqualmie has a decent pop. of brookies that are in the 6 to 9inch range with a few a little bigger but are still beautiful fish and a lot of fun to catch.

Justin >Flyfish Forever :HAPPY

10. FishPirate

FishPirate New Member

Give the NF Snoqualmie a try. Lots of brookies in the 6-9" range, with a few around 10-12", and a couple pushing 13-14".

Mickey Finns produce.

11. segjdg1

segjdg1 New Member

Pluto, I am very new to flyfishing and would very much like to catch some Brookies. Can you please give me some Directions to this Canyon Creek in Glacier. I live in Oak Harbor. Thank you for your time.

Scott :WINK