NFR Burkheimer spey talk and pictures.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by liltanker32, Jun 15, 2013.

1. liltanker32

liltanker32 Member

hey guys and gals,
    I have become a great fan and friend with the burkheimer crew. I love there rods, there attitude about fishing and what kerry stand for as an american company. no outsourcing beside cork which we can get in america. I love the class of rods and people that burkkheimer is and I only think its right to recognize them with there own thread in washington fly fishing. Please post pictures of your burkheimer spey rods, trout rods and so on. anything burkheimer is welcome. I have a 690-4 on order with burkheimer and I just picked up a 8134-4. I will post pics as soon as I have both rods in hand but lets get this started.

Mark Janszen

2. this thread is going well;)

3. liltanker32

liltanker32 Member

no way... oh well, I guess people on the forum truly dont support the true american dream and buy from local companys. lets buy mass production junk rods that have hundreds of hands touch them to finish one. when burkheimer has maybe 5 hands that touch your completed rod.

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I have one (9143) . Great rod , but sadly , it does`nt get used nearly enough .
    I wish I had more .

5. your right, I am truly un-American and every rod I have is doo doo garbage

6. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    I have two single handers (489, 595) and two spey (7134 and 8142). They are my go-to rods for all my fishing except lakes. The 7134 arrived this spring and haven't tried it yet.

7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I like my burkies...but don't think they need any chest thumping to promote them...

but ah well.. P4270202 (800x600).jpg IMG_6219.JPG

8. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Nice fish. I notice you have sold or are selling some of your Miesers. Are you sticking with 3 piece rods? Is there such thing as a 3 peice Mieser?

9. I dunno whats sexier those sticks or the steel

10. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I've asked but he doesn't make them...I like my 3 piece rods...
    T&T made a couple nice ones as well...

That 7133 has a lot of mojo...a bunch of steelhead on that rod..

11. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

The reel! ;-)

12. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Burkheimer has a lot of fans, mostly on the speypages site. Nothing wrong with promoting buy American. And we are fortunate to have three of the best custom rod builders right in our own back yard. Burkheimer, RB Meiser, & Anderson Custom Rods. Burkie is one of the very few who roll their own blanks, in house!

13. liltanker32

liltanker32 Member

thats exactly what sets them apart and make me buy from them, all done in house and amazing work.

14. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

That's a sweet rod!

15. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

I like the rods, but didn't the company get bought over a few years ago, might be mistaken but I thought I heard they were bought out.
    Cheers Gordon.

16. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

T&T was purchased (recapitalized) a couple years ago, but Kerry Burkheimer is very much still at the helm of Burkheimer rods.

17. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

I met Kerry at the Sandy river speyclave a few years ago, really nice guy and a great crew.
    I hope the company goes from strength to strength, it is really important to have companies like Burkheimer around for future development and quality fly fishing tackle.
    The fly fishing market is struggling a little right now with many marketing companies going to the wall, Hardy/Greys just sold and Loop selling 75% to an investment company, Sceirra, Snowbee and many others falling off the chart here in the UK, but these are marketing companies that really make nothing, just ship it in and ship them out from the far east, so support Kerry if you can and keep a quality product going.
    Cheers Gordon.
    DTX Pro Staff.

18. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

WHo bought Hardy Gordon?
    What changes will that mean?

19. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Not sure who as bought them over as yet, as they just got someone to buy the company a couple of weeks ago, and I have not heard as yet.
    I think they paid off around 20 staff at the factory and office, but i'm sure it will be business as usual for them, others will disappear for good and some are gone already.
    Cheers Gordon
    DTX Pro Staff.

20. liltanker32

liltanker32 Member

This is why we need to keep guys like Kerry and the crew alive. I want them to be around when my kids are grown. Both my kids already love to fly fish and the are only 5. That's when I started and I haven't put it down sense then