Burlington Northern Trespass tickets

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by redlodge, Jun 5, 2014.

1. I didn't even cross the tracks . . . lately. Just posting and thinking and now the NSA and BN thought police are f'n coming to take me away! Screw 'em! UP THE REVOLUTION I say!

jake-e-boy likes this.
  2. I have a buddy that worked for BNSF and met a large number of conductors. I do have sympathy for them, one guy watched as he could do nothing to prevent a teen from getting mashed by his 100+ car train. Seeing something like that has to be very difficult. For that reason I'm in favor of them enforcing a trespass law. I still cross the tracks from time to time, knowing it is illegal. I wish they would just build a passage at some of the most popular access points so that it was safe to cross and neither they nor us would have to deal with the trespass issue. I think that would decrease the number of track injuries and fatalities, but some ignorant and/or unobservant person would still end up dead.

Jeff Sawyer likes this.
  3. well , it looks like we will all get to know each other better as this policy will limit the amount of areas that you can access to wade fish.

4. The police enforcing the trespass law on a constant basis is going to end bank fishing for a lot of us from Reiter all the way to Sultan if not Monroe. Most of the water I fish is on the upper sky and I have to cross the tracks for 90 per cent of it. I like to go fish for 3 to 5 hours and then call it good for the day
    Now that I do not work a lot any more it was a couple three days a week. Fishing for me has never bee a destination deal but more of anywhere within 45 minutes and I am good to go. Since I started fishing for steelhead when I came here from Montana in 82 that is all I have done except for chums and pinks
    at the right time. I do not fish the lower sky from Sultan down because of the lack of access and the boat traffic form Sultan down.

5. You could always cross the tracks where there are cross points for cars. Dont think there is anything against pedestrians crossing those sections. Just have to hike more.

6. no worrys, that's just your friendly government monitoring your calls in the interest of public safety.

7. How many flys will it hold?

CLO likes this.
  8. Looks like all of them.

9. When we lived in Newport, WA. You could go in and get a permit to cross the tracks. Basically saying if you get hurt doing something stupid while on Railroad property you won't sue. Does that exist in the areas you guys are fishing? In other words I have a slip of paper saying I can be on Railroad property, so you are not trespassing.

10. Did that issue them at the railroads regional office ? This might be a option to look into.

11. I've actually tried contacting them before and got nowhere.

12. Many, many years ago, to get to the beach at Picnic Point, you had to cross the tracks. After a few people got killed there they put in the people over pass. Now when you park there they steal your shit.

golfman44 likes this.
  13. If it's OK to cross the RR tracks at road crossings, it shouldn't be any more illegal nor dangerous to cross the tracks elsewhere, like fishing access points. Crossing RR tracks is only dangerous when trains are coming, not when they're not. Some people have a thing about liking to walk along RR tracks while wearing their MP3 earbuds. Those folks are known as Darwin candidates, and the RR should incur no liability if they get smushed by a train. Heck, the RR might even get an award for improving the gene pool.

Seriously, how can it be any more dangerous to cross RR tracks then to cross Hwy 2? Sheese, look both ways like they teach in kindergarten and don't cross in front of vehicles or trains. F'n rocket science, I swear.

14. Took 53 posts but we finally got there :)

dibling and Greg Armstrong like this.
  15. Bingo!

16. Did a quick search. 57 deaths or injuries in the last ten years. Thats 57 potential lawsuits in the last ten years. Just here in Washington state. 2,712 nationally. What would you do if you owned a business and saw numbers like this?
    21% of these were in the 21 to 25 year age group. How many of you guys with the smartass replies fall into this category?
    I realize shutting down access seams like a (quote)"Fucking Gustapo" move. But, really it's just a Fucking Beancounter move.
    I agree, the fix should not be shutting down access but making it safer. How about putting in underpass culverts at high traffic areas.Probably cost over a mil. each.
    http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/OfficeofSafety/publicsite/Query/castally4.aspx

TRESPASSER CASUALTIES (DEATHS AND INJURIES) (BY CALENDAR YEAR, Jan-Dec)
    (EXCLUDES HIGHWAY-RAIL INCIDENTS)

Selections: Railroad - All Railroads
    State - WASHINGTON County - All Counties
    All Regions
    All Casualties
    Calendar Year - 2014
    End Month of Report - March
    Physical Activity and Event
    Total
    Total Year Counts
    YTD Counts Jan -
    Mar

Cases
    Pct of Total
    GRAND TOTAL....
    Walking--Struck by on-track equipment
    Standing--Struck by on-track equipment
    Lying down--Struck by on-track equipment
    Laying--Struck by on-track equipment
    Running--Struck by on-track equipment
    Sitting--Struck by on-track equipment
    Driving (motor vehicle, forklift, etc.)--Struck by on-track equipment
    Sitting--Struck against object
    Walking--Struck against object
    Climbing over/on--Slipped, fell, stumbled, other
    Crossing between--Struck by on-track equipment
    Driving (motor vehicle, forklift, etc.)--Struck against object
    Getting off--Lost balance
    Jumping from--On track equipment, other incidents
    Jumping from--Slipped, fell, stumbled, other
    Laying--Struck against object
    Sleeping--Struck by on-track equipment

Drifter and JesseC like this.
  17. Those 57 tweekers will be missed less than our fishing access.

Evan Burck likes this.
  18. Got any kids?

Drifter likes this.
  19. Nope but I have a sense of sarcasm

20. Jeff B - respectfully;

First off,I don't think anyone here meant to get in a pissing match here over this.
    Having said that, I've read this whole thread and I fail to see where anyone here has deserved to be called a "smart ass".

The increased level of shirking personal responsibility in our society is alarming.

Edit... whoops, I was typing my reply when Golfman made the "tweaker" comment above...

bennysbuddy and golfman44 like this.