Article Cabelas Sage fly line on sale

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Lue Taylor, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

Cabelas has Sage Ultimate Performance Taper - Freshwater fly line on sale before you buy be sure to read the reviews. What's in the box is not always true that's advertise

2. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Support your local shop then you'll know what you are buying.
    jesse

triploidjunkie likes this.
  3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

What is in the box then? Have you fished the lines or are you just trusting the comments? I only ask because I was curious about the lines so I bought a 6wt floater and the line has performed quite well for the last year. Heck it even still floats and I haven't cleaned it once.

4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    The people commenting on the cabelas page seem to be saying essentially what this guy is:

I'd be annoyed if that's what I got instead of the line that Sage and Cabelas both are advertising. That having been said, I'm sure Cabelas will take it back no problem if it turns out to be the wrong line. They've been good the few times I've had to return something to them.

Olive bugger and Irafly like this.
  5. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

They will probably let you open the box and check the line. Simple solution. I have a couple of Sage lines and like them.

6. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

I bought a sage floating line once. It made a great intermediate sinker for lake fishing....

triploidjunkie and Kyle Smith like this.
  7. Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor Lue Taylor/dbfly

I bought several boxes total different what shown in their new list of the same line mine has two different colors as advertise with loop at both ends which I like. As you can take the information for what it is just info not a opinion

Irafly likes this.
  8. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I heard from a fellow in a fly shop that Sage lines used to be made by SA, and are now made by Rio. I have no idea if this is accurate.

9. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I was given a brand new 8wt Sage line a few years ago. It is the only line I could not get to float more than 60 seconds. It's still like new, does anyone want it? I've been saving it to give to some I feel needs more frustration, but it's up for grabs.

Sage makes superb fly rods, every other product is re-labeled.

10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, Sage and Rio are one and the same or something similar like Sage did with Redington. I think that happened a couple of years ago. Not sure if Sage owns Rio outright or if they are just partners now, however.

11. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    Most of the lines are made by the same manufacturer. Rio and SA produce most of them! I purchased some of the "two tone" sages was and I was happy with them. I beat the "CRUDE" out my lines, I do condition them with SA conditioner and that seems to make then last a little over a season (I fish 60-80 days a year.)

12. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

Media:
    glad i read this thread when i did. i ordered two of the discounted sage lines a little over a week ago and had them shipped to the tulalip store. picked them up tonight and took care to check the lines based on the comments in this thread. one was the ultimate performance taper, in 3wt. the other was the nymph taper in 4wt. both were as advertised, dual color, welded loops on each end. hope they turn out to be better floaters than some here have suggested.