Cabin Rentals on the west end?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jason Rolfe, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to see if anyone has suggestions for a nice cabin rental out on one of the west end rivers.

Part of the reason for going is that I want to take my girlfriend out there for a relaxing weekend, as she's in grad school for nursing right now and has been pretty stressed by it all.

Of course, my ulterior motive is to get a little time on the water. Ideally, I'd like to find a place on one of the west end rivers, doesn't have to be too fancy (i.e. cheaper is better), and should allow a dog. Maybe a spot with some swinging water out back that I can spend a few hours on while we are there.

If anyone has any good suggestions that they've maybe had experience with, I'd really appreciate it. I've searched around online and found a couple of ideas, but I always like to hear first hand suggestions.

Cheers,

Jason

2. Befishin

Befishin Member

3. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort? Not too fancy, pet friendly...and right on...the Sol Duc.

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I think you're on the right track. My advice would be taking your girlfriend somewhere where you're not going to be longingly staring off the back porch into the water the whole time. Plan an awesome weekend for her where there's no fishing opportunities.

Then, plan a camping weekend with a fishing buddy the next weekend and fish all you want :)

I've learned the above after a lot of "tries" for the combo trip... neither end truly awesome, but everyone is different.

5. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

In a cabin, in the rain, with you out fishing, nos stores, no decent restaurants, long car ride. I like Jessee's idea, take your girl friend some where nice, then go fishing later.

6. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Is she looking froward to time alone? If not take the advice of the Jesse and Jim...if she expects to spend time with you and other things develop, it could make the trip quite craptastic.

Unmet expectations are the source of the bitterest disappointments.

You know your lady and I don't, but think long an hard if your billing this as a "some time off for you honey" and it's really not. She may even act like it is OK (my wife would), but that doesn't make it true.

In any event have fun, and I hope you both get a shot at some quality down time. It's a real blessing when you need it.

7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Yeah, don't worry guys. She's an incredibly busy person, so doesn't mind a couple of days just sitting around a quiet cabin, reading, taking walks (even in the rain) etc.

She said on her own that she'd like to go out to the west end for a weekend. Fishing would really be just a sideshow for me--a couple hours in the morning before she's up and at 'em. We'd spend the rest of the time being lazy, hiking, playing scrabble, playing with the dog, stuff like that.

And we're actually kind of even in this regard, as she occasionally drags me along on snowboarding trips (something I don't like so much to do).

With that said, this isn't the only option. I've been thinking of some other spots--I won't torture her unnecessarily!

Thanks for the advice.

Jason

8. kjsteelhead

kjsteelhead Member

You might want to check out either the Quileute Oceanside Resort in La Push or Kalalock Lodge south of Forks. Both have great ocean views. Neither is right on a river but not too far of a drive if the water is fishable.

9. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Thanks guys.

We've been looking at some spots, and it looks like some friends will be coming along. All of your suggestions are much appreciated.

Jason

10. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

just a thought but have you checked VBRO? We stayed at money cabin years ago on the skykomish and found it off that site. Or Airbnb is a decent one too.

11. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

It's VRBO (vrbo.com), but opj is right...good deals to be found there.

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

13. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

Years ago, we liked staying at the LaPush Ocean Park, west of Forks....now it's the Quileute Oceanside Resort. Some friends just came back from there, and really enjoyed it...the OP rivers are close-by, and the beach is literally right there...

http://www.quileuteoceanside.com/

14. Yooper

Yooper Member

Check this place out (http://www.forks-web.com/jim/salt.htm). I stayed there last winter for a week and it's close to Forks and LaPush. Prices are negotiable with the owner and are cheap to begin with.

15. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Ended up staying at Rialto Beach Cabin.

Was a very nice place. Super relaxing. Fished for a few hours each morning, spent the rest of the time with the lady, and a few of her friends came out for the second night we were there as well.

All in all, a very successful weekend. I got to try out the new spey rod, the lady got some serious relaxation done, the weather was beautiful--couldn't ask for more.

16. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Excellent.