Callibaetis nymph "eyes"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Golden Trout, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

When you look at a few pics of living callibaetis nymphs is becomes very apparent that very dark eyes become a common denominator. My question; do you tie your patterns with dark brown eyes with the intent of this characteristic being a triggering action for fish?

2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Golden Trout,

[​IMG]
    This is what a Callibaetis nymph looks like when under water. I would not describe it eyes as being dark. In my experience, most Callibaetis nymph patterns are not tied with eyes. However, you might try some, both with and without eyes, and let us know if it makes any difference in your catch rate.

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

DSCF4062.JPG
    GT,I wonder if you are not thinking of damselfly nymphs. They have very large and prominent eyes (though I would not necessarily describe them as dark).

4. Golden Trout

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I think what is more important is to match the gills that are along it's long body. My friend found some tied like this (in a sale at a shop) and we hammered some very nice fish them.

Here's the pattern in epoxy back style!

fly box\'s 006.jpg fly box\'s 007.jpg

I've tried imitating that fly but I sure can't, those gill feathers come out straight from the side and do not go underneath the body! I just can't seem to find the material they laid on the body to fan out like that. But man do those nymphs work!

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

After looking at your chart it seems all the cali nymphs have the gills on the sides. Most swimming may fly nymphs (lakes) I have looked at from pictures have these gills on the sides. especially the huge burrowing HEX.

7. Golden Trout

Have you tried ostrich herl?

8. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Yeah that's what I was told but none small enough.

9. Preston

Preston Active Member

I use fibers of several marabou plumes on my Callibaetis nymph pattern. I don't think that it particularly matters that the fibers stick out all around rather than just along the sides.

2006_0406callibaetiseries0002.JPG