Can you fly fish with hookless flies in closed waters?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by CLO, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +601 / 0
    You've got to admit that comparing the plight of flycasters denied hookless practice casting on closed waters is a bit of a stretch relative to Chief Joseph's tribulations.
  2. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Krusty, I would never try to match our tribulations with those of the Nez Perce, which would be a fool's bet. My point is that people have inclinations strong enough to be considered innate, but that are often unrecognized and supported by other people in power. Whether it's a D. C. beaurocracy dismissing Navaho's urge to use ceremonial peyote, or school Nazis in a tizzy over shouting and running around during recess, the list of failures to live and let live is endless.
  3. Parisalexander New Member

Portland, OR & Charleston, SC
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hey y'all, if you can't get to water to practice, tie yourself up a "grass leader". Very simple: I use 30# hi-vis maxima tie a loop at the butt section and then nail knot sections together every 6-8in till you've reached around 9'. Leave the tag ends until you've finished then go back and clip them to a 1/4in. Really provides stick on the ole lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Krusty likes this.
  4. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +601 / 0
    I guess I need a snow and ice leader for practicing in Spokane.
    Parisalexander likes this.
  5. Jim Paget Member

Ratings: +37 / 0
    Just to let you know, the Fidalgo Fly Fishers ran a spey clinic on Young's Bar this past Saturday. We notified the Department of Fishing and Wildlife and they had no issues. We were all using yarn, or some similar variation.
  6. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +114 / 0
    It's navajo