Canon EOS60D Telephoto

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by freestoneangler, Apr 20, 2013.

1. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +607 / 1
    My wife has a 60D that came with the 18-220mm lens. She has added a macro and now is looking for a telephoto for distant wildlife shots. She's found a couple of sites that offer rental arrangements for these and considering the price of these lens, sounds like a good option. We see a lot written about the 55-250 and 70-300, but they don't outwardly look like they'd offer much beyond her current telephoto. The monster lenses, we're guessing are what's really needed for those distant shots, but they are awkward looking.

Any suggestions from the forum on which specific lens to consider? Anyone done the rental option?

Thanks
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    Call your local camera store. I think the local one in Kenmore rented some (back when I was in Kirkland). Only recommendation I'd make is get one with a constant F2.8 for the zoom portion. The critters might be moving and things could blur.

I lusted after a 2.8 70 to 200 for my Nikon as it produced sharp photos. It also weighed about 2-3 lbs and would get heavy hanging from one's neck.
  3. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +128 / 2
    Put a 2x multiplier behind the 18-220 lens and it becomes a 36-440. not sure whether you can stack 2 multipliers. Yeah, they get big and clumsy. Figure on a tripod.
  4. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +607 / 1
    The multiplier is an interesting option. Just did a little reading about them, but don't see many comments on user feedback. One article said it will also double the amount of distortion of the main lens, always trade offs it seems. Does anyone on the forum use these?
  5. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +128 / 2
    Before the days of digital, I used a 2x multiplier on a small body Pentax SLR and a 90/210 zoom. Not that I was reaching out extremly long distances, but I got some good close up shots from the back rows of music festivals.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    I used a multiplier on my film Nikon and didn't notice any visual issues. It does also double the f/stop (a heads up). A 2.8 would end up a 5.6 so figure that in when shooting.
  7. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    A friend of mine has a 100-800 Sigma, big honking sucker that only goes on a very heavy tripod but the sharpness of his long distance photos of birds and animals is amazing. When you can see individual hairs and feather veins without blurring in full frame shots and print them at 24 X 36 without pixels showing up I am impressed. But you do have to mortgage the house to buy it.:D
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,110 / 0
    I also own a 60D and a 100-300 mm lens I used with my EOS system. 300mm isn't enough for distant wildlife shots. You really need something in the 800mm size for wildlife shots and the Canon lens are huge and cost as much as a KIA. (14 grand)

[IMG]

300mm won't gain you much other than added weight. I use a Canon extender specifically for macro shots and they cost as much as a normal size lens but it is an option.

[IMG]
  9. atomic dog Jive Turkey

Pasco
    Ratings: +154 / 0
    I have one of these on my camera at work occasionally.

[IMG]

It's a heavy MF-er. In bright mid-day sunlight I can get away with handheld, but it's still iffy. It's near impossible to keep the focus dots on a subject when zoomed out to 500mm. Good image quality, though. At a minimum a monopod should be used with it.