NFR Can't access site from home, any IT help appreciated.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mike Ediger, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 8
    Well this is silly, but I am completely confused. I can't access the site from home on either ipad, ipod, or two different dell computers, yet internet is working fine on all other sites. I can take the ipad to Starbucks or any other wireless network and access WFF just fine. I also have perfect access from my office, it is just this site and just at home. I use Centurylink, and have spent more than an hour over two different phone calls and they say it is not on their end, that it is an issue with either my computers or the site.
    I seem to recall this happening a couple years ago but can't remember the outcome. Any of you IT experts have advice?
    Thanks,
    Mike
  2. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +619 / 0
    Random things to try...

- Take one of your home devices and force it's primary DNS server to be 8.8.4.4 (google public). If this works, change the DNS settings for the other devices.
    - Probably already did this, but reboot everything (DSL modem, any firewalls/AP's)
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  3. Taxon Moderator

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Hi Mike-

I assume you get an error message of some sort. What does the error message say exactly?
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  4. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Well stink, don't I feel like an idiot. Not sure what the problem was, but I unplugged my modem, waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in. Works as good as new. Crazy how it only affected WFF though, no other site. David I don't know what you do for a living, but your reply was more helpful than over an hour with Centurylink tech support.
    Next time, unplugging and rebooting will be my first course of action.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    David Dalan likes this.
  5. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +680 / 0
    Looks like your wife is on to you and blocked the site.
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  6. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA

I actually earn my keep as an IT geek. What you had was a "home internet" classic, for some reason some of the gear loses it's mind and just needs a swift kick in the sack.

Glad I could help :)
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  7. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Probably, I spend way to much time on here, and this just happened to be only site that didn't work. Coincidence..... I think not. There goes a week of frustration fixed in 10 seconds.
  8. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA

LOL :)
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +574 / 5
    No, what happens is somehow your IP gets banned. Not sure how. It's been happening a lot lately. I was even banned. But it's your home IP that's banned for some reason. I could use my cell phone as long as I WAS NOT using the wireless router. If I was accessing through 3G/4G I had access. If my phone auto connected to the home wireless I couldn't access. Chris is innundated right now, and think he's the only one who can fix that problem. But it's not just you.
  10. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    I wasn't buying my wife's denials.....so she thanks you for letting her off the hook.
  11. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +868 / 1
    THis happens to me every once and a while. I just change my IP address and everything works fine.
    Unplug ( un-power) your cable/dsl/modem and disconnect the incoming tel line. Wait say 5 minutes and re-connect. You should have a new IP.
    Jack
  12. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +433 / 0
    That's what happened with me recently.

Definitely a plus knowing it's an IP banning.

For me however my IP was sticky on my home network so rebooting stuff even releasing the external IP was resulting in the same IP address.

I'd tether my home machine to my iPhone running LTE temporarily while I fed my addiction on this site.

Eventually my lease expired on the IP and it resolved itself.

Hth
  13. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +574 / 5
    Thanks for that info. I'll tell people that from now on to try that first.
  14. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +868 / 1
  15. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I hooked my router and modem to a separate surge protector, every morning I shut it down for a couple of minutes, no issues since
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  16. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    This is a great idea. I literally just unplugged my router, counted to 10, plugged it back in, and I was back in business. Ticked that it took me a week to do it.
  17. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    I work in IT, too. Another thing that sometimes happens is a little "name server" confusion on your system. I don't know how you'd do it on a "pad", but on a PC go to the command prompt (cmd, or DOS window) and run "ipconfig /flushdns". This will flush the DNS cache on your local system and may free up access to some problematic sites.
  18. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    When Wifey puter goes down just reboot, crap a joke is coming
  19. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,407 / 0
    What in the hell are all of you talking about. I've been in the dark from the beginning here. It sucks to be computer DUMB. Whats an IP address??
  20. jaybo41 Member

Eastern Great Lakes
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Same thing happened to me, I apparently had an IP ban here and was only able to log in with 3G/4G service. Jerry and Chris helped get me going again--thanks guys!

Maybe this post would be a good sticky since it seems to happen often enough to cause extra work for the mods? I'm pretty well versed with technology, or so I thought until reading this. I had no idea that I might be able to change my IP by simply unplugging my modem/router for a while.