Can't keep um pinned

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Bagman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

I had a 7lb ho just about bend a #2 straight (still managed to get him to the beach somehow). After that I went to #1 and I've been considering some 1/0 on my bigger flies.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I've been running size two, but today I fished size 1 all day. Didn't seem to make a difference. The fish that took right at my feet tonight still had no trouble spitting the hook in my face when he jumped.

Im trying an experiment right now in how I hold my rod. My holding it super slightly in my right hand, almost just using my thumb and pointer finger to hold it... I'm hoping that not having it at my usual angle and grip will make it hard to lift the rod quickly and instead force me to strip set. We'll see how it works.

3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I got my first couple fish with the strip set today. BIG strip sets. It felt good, like I had finally overcome some kind of weird mental tic. Big strip sets, and some solid fish on the beach. Didn't miss a single hookup, and only lost one of them after a good fight.

4. Nick Clayton

Nice job Jason. Feels good when you get a good hook set.

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Nick,
    One thing that has really helped me is turning my body during the retrieve so I always have a straight line my fly. Because of current sweeps your line, you almost never cast straight out and strip your line in without it swinging to the right or left of you.
    Having as straight of line as possible to your fly will help with your strip strike. Dimebrite is a master at doing this.
    I get lazy at times as my mind drifts an sure enough a fish will slam my fly with my rod out of position and a hook up is missed.
    SF

6. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Jason, I have that same mental tic. I haven't overcome it yet, but am hoping to cure that soon. I start spacing out and of course that is always when the fish hit and then it's instant habit. I've done this with steelhead too, dropping the loop and all, and succeeded, so you'd think I could do it with coho...Hopefully I'll get another chance soon.

I'm pretty good about keeping the line straight to the rod. Not perfect, but it's more of a habit than not. I want to feel that tight hookset and then off to the races!

7. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

I have figuered out that I need to lower my stripping basket as well as get it more to my rod hand side of my body, and have a path clear for the strip set. Like StoneFish I turn my body as the current pulls my line always keeping a clear lined up strip set path.

8. Nick Clayton

No strip set needed with this gal. She hated pink and white clousers with a fiery passion.

2013-09-12_08-06-08_732.jpg

Tacoma Red, dryflylarry and Stonefish like this.
  9. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Nice fish

10. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

11. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

One thing you may want to try is a two handed retrieve with the rod tucked into your right armpit. This will force you to strip set, as it is impossible to set the hook any other way. I also find this decreases wrist pain in my left hand after a long day at the beach.

mtskibum16 and Bagman like this.
  12. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

Went to the Methow Valley this weekend for some R&R so I haven't been out since last Thursday. Was met at the beach with a strong cross wind. A few casts in, BAMMM...sweet! Lifted rod...damn it!. That combined with the huge belly in my line from trying to cast in the cross wind results in fish swimming away. I had a feeling that I had just blown my only chance for the morning. Looks like I'll be starting over with the strip set training. Grrr.

13. emmccauley

emmccauley Member

Hook sharp? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

14. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

It was sharp this time, but that didn't make up for my incompetence.

15. gibbycu

gibbycu turns all year

On a roll...hook set, check...however, unknown flaw in the leader = lost fish.

16. emmccauley

emmccauley Member

Well if its any consolation, it was fun to watch while it lasted. That fish was a good 5 feet in the air!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

17. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

After everyone pushing the benefits of strips sets, I started concentraing on that this year vs the good ol' pull-up-on-the-rod hook set. I seem to be missing way more hits than I remember when I used a stadard rod pull set. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I seem to be able to get better hook sets if I don't strip set....anyone else notice this?

18. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I think your problem is stripping too slow. If you're stripping fast and with authority I think those fish are going to bless you with a firmer hook-up. Nick posted a shot of an awesome fish that hooked itself. I had a big salmon hook itself yesterday. It nailed the fly hard mid strip and the game was on.

I'd recommend trying to make bigger faster strips and I think you'll start DUSTING CHROMERS.

19. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

I resembled that remark on Sunday.:( Might have to up my game on the leader(12lb to 16lb), else refresh the leader more often. I hate having those sad farewells with Coho. I also like to be able to sleep at night.;)

JesseC likes this.
  20. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I keep pushing 20lb Ultragreen for a reason, it takes a licking and keeps on tickin! I have yet to lose a beach fish due to a break-off, but I still lose flies every now and then to crappy backcasts over rocks. I think there is no cure for the latter :p

If you think about the strip set vs lift set, there is little different in the angle at which the line is pulled; perhaps only a couple of degrees higher for the lift set due to the shallow slope of the line from the rod fish to the rod tip. I think the difference is that the lift set is not as sharp and violent as the rod absorbs some of the force and there is a huge mechanical disadvantage on the force transmitted from your arm and wrist to the rod tip (~30:1). I always strip hard and fast and once the fish is hooked, I quickly lift the rod tip to provide shock absorption for the head shakes and flip-flops that usually ensue. 3/3 for beach coho fish so far this season... need to go collect more data to be sure though!

Ian Broadie likes this.