Car camping trip from Seattle to Dutch John, UT and back

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Loren, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Loren

Loren New Member

Driving to and from Dutch John and the Green River in UT for two weeks after the 4th of July. Looking for recommended stops on the way for fishing and wildlife photography. Yellowstone is an obvious one, but I think it's going to be too crowded and will try to skip it. Going to drive through Missoula and stop for a couple nights on Rock Creek, then further into Montana and down through Wyoming to the NE corner of UT, then back to Seattle. Any must stop places I should check out on the way there or back? Thinking about the Cody WY area and/or Lander WY. Maybe Teton National Park and back through Ashton ID on the way back?

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Love the Green River, but no way in hell will I ever venture into that state during July or any summer month. It's too HOT for this life form.

Sg

3. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

You might want to check out the Owyhee, about 50 miles west of Boise.

4. Builder

Builder Member

Not sure what type of water you like to fish but your idea of Ashton and surrounding area is good. Hoppers for cutts would be fun.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Don't skip the Tetons, but be prepared for culture shock in Jackson Hole; it's like Rodeo Drive in la-la land with all the high dollar boutiques. You have to hunt for a fly shop in town now, too, since Dennis's place became a high fashion Patagonia store. Only a tiny section of flies and stuff in one corner. The people working there acted like they didn't know what fishing was! High Country Flies was the only game in town.

6. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Want one crowd-less experience in this trip?
    Jarbidge Wilderness