catch and release mortality

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ron Simpson, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Strangest thing I ever saw with a rainbow was a few years back. I took my Grandson fishing on a local lake. Since he did not fly fish, we were using bait. He caught a couple of nice fish and wanted to take them home to eat. I told him that I would show him how to clean the fish and how to cook them. It was a golden moment for me.

Anyway, when we got home and he opened the one fatter fish, it's gut was filled with a rubber toy dragon that had expanded with water. I doubt that the fish could have ingested a morsel of food and was
    probably starved for something to eat. I suppose a child had been playing near the water and the toy ended up in the drink, fish ate it, end of story.
  2. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +207 / 0
    I do have a picture of the technique described in KerryS's post. This is one of the reasons I use tube flies as much as possible. Slide the fly up the leader and the bare hook is easier to get hold of. A plus is that you don't damage your fly.

The hook in the picture is tinned rather than SS, which don't dissolve well at all. Carbon steel is the best option for rusting quickly, hooks like the Gamakatsu SC-15 being a good choice for saltwater use. That's all I use for fish in the sound like this cutthroat. Smaller fish can be easily released without using the net. I've attached a photo of my home made releasing tool, with the freshwater circle hook that I use for chuml. I use a smaller one for freshwater. IMG_2536 073.jpg

I once caught a formerly big trout in Crane Prairie. It was close to 2 feet long, but was completely emaciated. We killed it since it was on it's last legs, and found a gold plated egg hook had pierced both sides of the esophagus, pinning it shut. The gold hook had not corroded a bit, it was as shiny as the day it came out of the package.

IMG_1039.JPG
  3. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +215 / 0
    Well, not trying to top the others.....I caught and kept a 5 lb trout up in BC. Caught him on a dry sedge pattern. Upon examination I found three feet of tippet and a red butt chironomid streaming from his annus. When I pulled on it, I found it was attached to a Chromie and about 3 more feet of leader. He had obviously taken the red butt, broken off, swallowed the rest of the leader and was happily feeding on big sedges with no ill effects. I figured that killing the trout was justified since he had such bad taste in fly patterns!
  4. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +687 / 0
    Well thats one way of getting proven flys for free, If I was that fish with my luck some other fish would eat the fly hanging out my ass and then I would have to put up with somebody on my ass all day