Chasing steel at night

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Fly_Fisher_00, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Fly_Fisher_00

Fly_Fisher_00 New Member

So, I was drinking with a friend the other night and agreed to chase some steel (or springers). Not out of the relm of popossibility, true. The only kicker is I agreed to do it at night, on the fly. After a few cups of coffee and sobrity, I realize I have never I have throw flies at night. Since I am not one to crawfish on a fishing trip, tomorrow night we will see what happens. I have been "inventing" in my fly room and came up with some s@#t that might catch on. I tied some modified bead head flies to use glow in the dark and uv beads. We will see what happens. Let me know what you think, please I am lost on this one.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Fish see fine at night. Why bother with glow in the dark stuff?

David Dalan likes this.
  3. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Please wear protective eyewear, like safety glasses or shields. I used to do a great deal of night fishing for stripers, and it is waaaayy too easy to get hit in the face at night from an errant cast, be it your own or your fishing partner or other angler.

Fly fishing at night can be great fun and quite a challenge, but it will likely take you a few trips at least or get the groove. Line management can be a nightmare, and you need to check your gear frequently to avoid mega tangles and likewise.

Good luck, I have no idea what the state regs are for night fishing or where you're headed, you may want to double check to be safe (the regs here are confusing enough as it is!)

Dan

Bert Kinghorn and Duane J like this.
  4. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

UV works better when it is light out

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  5. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I am comparing apples and oranges, just talking oranges this time.
    I have gear fished with glow jigs on spooky fish in the dark of night. Use stealth mode, keep out of the water if possible, dont shine your headlamps on or near the water. Sneak up on the fish from behind, think like a ninja.
    Its easy to walk to a river bank keeping a low profile, flipping a bobber and jig up river into a seam... good luck fly fishing.

6. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Believe it or not, black provides the greatest visual contrast at night.

plaegreid, David Dalan and Evan Burck like this.
  7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Exactly. If you want to get all science-y... People try to imagine fish seeing like we do. When, in fact, they see better. Eyes evolved to see in water. Land animals don't have nearly as good a vision as our finned brethren.

8. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

One of my best days ever was catching 5 steelhead in chocolate milk on black and purple flies. The important thing to note though is the river was actually in good shape, stable flow, and wadable. It had a slide adding the color just up river.

I believe the big spike in flows is usually what puts the bite off, moves fish around, gets them in survival mode, not the reduced visibility often associated with such spikes on most steelhead rivers. The fish can in fact feed aggressively in ridiculously low visibility if conditions warrant it.

Evan Burck likes this.
  9. Fly_Fisher_00

Fly_Fisher_00 New Member

That is some really good info to know. Seeing that i am ginger and am afraid of the sun, i should be able to see very well at night. So i guess you can call me a ginger ninja or ginja. I knew about the darker colors being more visable during low vis water conditions, but not during total darkness. I talked with some others that have fished at night and they recommended dark steamers and fry patterns. I will have to see if the river we where tentatively going to fish is going to be open. I know it has been in the past, but i am pretty sure that it closes to night fishing around this time of year. Other than that, water levels have been pretty stable. I am pretty excited to mix things up a bit and try something new.

10. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Kalama is closed to night fishing Apr 1st to Oct 31st from the railroad bridge below I-5 to the intake (pumphouse) at the first fish hatchery. Oh and it's under emergency closure to springers at the moment.

11. Ray

Ray Active Member

12. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    +1 Big, black. Maybe a little flash in pearl or silver.

jjaims likes this.
  13. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    That's kind of the misnomer. "Total Darkness" doesn't occur often in nature. As a completely unrelated note, in conditions of complete darkness, most humans will begin to hallucinate. Very few of us have ever experienced a complete absence of light.

Most animals are a lot better than us at utilizing available light. Plus fish have that awesome lateral line thing, which is why I use larger streamers at night.

plaegreid likes this.
  14. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

This is awesome and I'm going to have to steal it as I too am skin pigment challenged.

So we have settled on big dark flies. What about depth? Is it better to go up top so there is a silhouette or to try and give the fish a fly mustache down deep?

I have run some large skaters at night in the summer/fall but no success so far. Of course it's usually post-dinner/campfire drinking so I'm sure its sloppy...

15. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    Fish a spot you know holds fish, fish a spot that you can wade without dying, fish a spot you are intimate with and have caught fish out of during the day, and fish a spot that doesn't require big adjustments over the course of the run. Throw black, throw it with confidence,and stop mending so damn much.
    image.jpg
    And don't forget the Afro. It is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

16. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Used to do this in the olden days when it wasn't prohibited on the Stilly and it worked fabulously well. I used a Fall Favorite and they loved it, but I was fishing over water that I knew intimately so there was no guessing on the wading or where to put the fly.......

17. David Dalan

Media:

I listen to you because you are Zef.

18. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Well, THAT certainly explains why my success rate at night has dropped-off. Reckon I'm SOL . . . fish must get suspicious when they see 2 "moons." I used a dry line & dark patterns when Ringold had an open season in late summer; you could watch the fish "wake-in" toward the bank as the light faded & boat traffic/other shoreline commotion diminished. Exciting times!

19. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    On a side note...Die Antwoord in Portland next month, and tickets sold out the first night :mad:

Jason Rolfe and tkww like this.
  20. David Dalan

Media:
    Not shocked.